Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Noir

Can't connect to the internet with Red Hat 9

Hi, I just installed Red Hat 9 on my computer, and I cannot connect to the internet at all, the only way I'm on right now is i luckily have a SuSE Eval cd. Anyways... I go to setup internet connections and it doesn't have my network card/chip which is on my motherboard. My mobo is a GA-8IG1000 series and I'm looking at the manual and it says that the LAN connector is a Gigabit Ethernet with 1000Mbps Speed. This is not listed under any of the network cards in the select network card area. Is there anyway I could substitute it, or would I have to get a new network card or what? If I have to get a new network card, then which one should I get?

Simply put, RedHat 9 is too old of a distro to recognize your onboard hardware effectively. Either upgrade to Fedora Core 3 or buy a pci LAN card. Get a Realtek or Lynksys card, about $10 USD.

gidday Noir

Alternatively you could d/l a more recent kernel-source from the 2.6-series and compile a kernel that supports your GB-LAN chip. The chip in question is the regular "Marvel"-Gigabit-LAN controller, which can be found in the "Networking"-section of the kernel-config-application (the LAN-card module is also named "sk98lin", I think).

Hope that helps