Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rogerwilco

impossible to place shortcuts on the desktop while installing programs

Win XP, sp2, A standing blue bar with folders and tasks stays on my desktop and icons on desktop are immovable. Right clicking gives no options on the big blue bar. While installing programs, it is impossible to place shortcuts on the desktop. Acted already like this when sp2 was not installed.I do not know what to do to have my normal desktop again.

Please send your suggestions.Thanks!

Are you sure that you are not looking at a .bmp file being displayed on your desktop? Change the desktop image, hopefully that is all it is.

g/l

You possibly have a corrupt profile. Backup any documents and email, favs etc, logout, login as Administrator user (may have to use Safe Mode), open System control panel, Advanced tab, User Profile settings and delete your old profile.

Reboot and login as yourself, and you will get a new profile, you will have to setup your desktop again, copy documents back and import email and address book.

The other alternative is that you have set up a Web page for the desktop. You can turn it off via Desktop Properties, Customise Desktop, Web.