Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mthaler

Terminal Server share drive and printing questions

Well, I built a reasonably fast machine to be a TS:

P4 3.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 2 75gb 10K SATA drives in mirror config.

I added the machine to the domain but did not install Active Directory because I thought that might slow things down.

I went into the local security console and added the 4 users that want to connect to it and gave them the right to log on locally.

They can all log on fine, but I can't get them to access their local drives so they can copy files back and forth. I have been able to print to my local printer, but I am having some problems getting others to be able to do that. I did install the printer drivers for each of the printers they are using on their end.

So,

1) Any suggestions about mapping local shares so they can copy files?

2) Any words of wisdom on local printing?

Use the newest Remote Desktop client (like the one with Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), select Options and then Local Resources. You should be able to select "local drives" along with printers. Now, when the user opens up explorer during a TS session he or she should see the local drives listed at the bottom.

As for the printer, it should be configured to connect by default, so check the logs and make sure that the proper drivers are installed for the local printers the users have.

Clutch,

The printing is working great for me, but I am having some problems with the client that is 100 miles away :-)

Anyway, is there something that would prevent the local drives from showing up. I am using the newest client that you can download for Windows Server 2003.

-Maurice

This is a 2003 TS and not a 2000 one correct?

I would check group policy, Terminal Service configuration mmc console, or even the user accounts themselves to see if they are denied there.

Originally posted by mthaler:

Quote:
Clutch,

The printing is working great for me, but I am having some problems with the client that is 100 miles away :-)

Anyway, is there something that would prevent the local drives from showing up. I am using the newest client that you can download for Windows Server 2003.

-Maurice

Right, but are you using the same printer that all of the users are? I am assuming that they are redirecting to local printers, and not simply printing to a network printer at the Terminal Server's location.

If you run an RSoP on the TS, you can see if "Do not allow drive redirection" has been toggled. This setting is located at:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal Services -> Client/Server data redirection

I do not run my TS boxes in Application Mode, so I don't bother with the Terminal Services Configuration console. However, I don't believe that drive redirection is fielded there. In the user's Environment tab in AD Users and Computers, you will see a setting for redirecting local drives. This only pertains to the Citrix client, and not to the RDP client:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836420

So, if this setting was to be managed anywhere, it would probably be via a GPO template setting. I would just make sure that the clients are clicking the little checkboxes first. smile

Quote:
I do not run my TS boxes in Application Mode, so I don't bother with the Terminal Services Configuration console. However, I don't believe that drive redirection is fielded there. In the user's Environment tab in AD Users and Computers, you will see a setting for redirecting local drives. This only pertains to the Citrix client, and not to the RDP client:

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of that.

In the Terminal Services configuration utility, on the client settings tab, there is an option to disable various items and drive mapping is one of them. I would totally agree that group policy would be a better way to configure this however.