Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Phalanx-Imawano

Pentium4 3.0GHz Prescott

Just recently upgraded my PC's CPU to an Intel Pentium4 3GHz Prescott.

To see if it's fully functional I ran CPU-Z. These are the results:

cpu.jpg

Why are there two CPU entries (the 2nd says Logical) when in fact there's physically only have 1 CPU?

cache.jpg

mainboard.jpg

memory.jpg

This is kinda bothering me. The memory frequency is reported at 200MHz, but I have PC3200 RAM, which is supposed to be running 400MHz DDR, or is CPU-Z reporting the Non-DDR speed?

spd1.jpg

spd2.jpg

Also, it seems the CPU's fan is rather noisy (like a siren, and I can hear it from two rooms away).

This is Intel's alleged Hyperthreading technology at work. It creates a second logical processor, and tells you that its resources are whatever cpu cycles are not used by processor no1 (the actual one).

Your memory speed is 200Mhz and DDR means that it's doubled (that is 400MHz) - much like a P4's FSB is 200MHz quadpumped = 800MHz.

I had a problem with my P4 3.2Gig prescott processor on my ASUS motherboard, it yould not show the full 3.2Gig, it only showed 2.8 and I could not undertand why, it is then whe I turned to the power if the internet and I found on the ASUS website that they have a problem with the PRESCOTT processors and that I need to update my BIOS, so I did and as true as bob it worked, now it shows my full 3.2Gig and I feel more like a man now :-)

Originally posted by Phalanx-Imawano:

Quote:

{snippage}

Also, it seems the CPU's fan is rather noisy (like a siren, and I can hear it from two rooms away).

Well this is typical of a Prescott core CPU fan, it's thermally controlled and has a copper center core to help with all that power dissapation wink

If you want something quiter, you'll have to get a third party heatsink fan, a solid copper heatsink, thermal paste and bigger fan.

I like the ones that Zalmann makes, solid copper blooms with a separate 92mm fan. You can also get a 120mm fan for an even quiter mode of operation.