Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

Eggcups causing Gnome to die.

Hi gents. After using Kde for a while I decided to jump back in to Gnome only to be greeted by these two errors;

Screenshot-1.png

Clicking restart or close results in an endless cycle of error prompts, they don't go away. I have not done any serious system editing, the last thing I remember doing in gnome was running yum.

Any ideas guys?

switch to a console using ctrl alt f1 login in and kill the processes manually. ps -ef | grep -i egg to find the eggcups proccess. Then just kill the pid. DO the same form the other process and restart X (you will need to be root) with pkill X or pkill gdm.

all right this happened to me as well i tried all the stuff that egorgry said and nothing happened i had just updated gnome and thought that was what it was so i uninstalled gnome and reinstalled it nothing

anyhow keep us posted as to what happens because this has happened on four of my gnome fedora core 3 installs

I'm having the same problem. Fedora Core 3 freshly installed & updated and nothing fancy going on as I'm a newbie. The errors don't go in a loop for me, after about 20 close clicks I get to the desktop but it's not fully operationnal, ie file browser doesn't work. I'm able to launch a Terminal Window though.

I tried the prelink command and it said that prelink is not a valid commnand. Any suggestions?

Thanks

are you root? if not try it as the root user. If you are still having problems try the whereis command.

whereis prelink That will tell you if it's in path.

The output looks something like this. In this example I'm looking for the ls command.

Quote:
[11/29/04][greg@otis:~]$ whereis ls

ls: /bin/ls /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1.gz

I've never used or installed prelink or fedora so maybe someone else can jump in and school my Debian using butt. wink the stuff above should be universal and helpfull either way.

This is what i get when i do "whereis prelink". I've been trying to do it under root, it won't work under root or a regular user.

prelink: /usr/sbin/prelink /etc/prelink.conf /etc/prelink.cache /usr/share/man/man8/prelink.8.gz

I'd try executing the command using the full path to it. So...

/usr/sbin/prelink /usr/lib/libdbus*so*

no problem. You should have /usr/sbin in your path for root though. if you feel like resolving this for other things that may need to execute out of /usr/sbin then edit your .profile for root. by adding the line :/usr/sbin the end of the PATH= statement in .profile.

You can see what is defined in your path by typing echo $PATH

I also thought of one more thing. how did you gain root access using su or su - su can carry over your users profile that may have caused your problem. It's a common problem with HPUX if you use su - you are get roots profile without question.