Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

Favorite Desktop Environment

So, what's your fav? I prefer Fluxbox on systems I use all the time, and on systems with low resources (or VMs in VPC). I also use KDE on systems that I just need up and running quickly, and on VMs running in VMWare Workstation, and now on VMWare ESX Server in the lab.

fluxbox then gnome then xfce i constantly switched i tried alot of them and found those three to be my favorites im also trying kde but fluxbox is great and fast

I use KDE in all my higher performance systems, hands down winner for me. Dapper Dan clued me into IceWM for my low resource systems, but, on low resource Debian based systems, I really like XFCE.

I prefer Gnome, but on bootable live CDs, I like Fluxbox. Speaking of which, has anyone here used the Auditor live CD? I checked it out a few days ago, and it seems pretty complete.

I can work with everything, though not for long if GUIs show those little flaws that drive me nuts, as GNOME does by always starting at root-folder with no option to store fav-folders, never showing hidden files without me doing tricks and so on. I hope they change that some day soon, cause GNOME certainly has potential - especially for Linux-beginners.

That's why my motto is: KDE or bust! smile Having worked for a long time with Macs I just _need_ KDE with "acqua-graphite" as style and Baghira-Brushed as window-decos to achieve my favorite Linux-Mac crossover look. As it goes for the Mac-feel: I never liked that anyway, so I'm glad I can utilize a 3-button mouse without having the Icons inflate to the size of Texas smile

I'm a gnome man myself. I use xfce for my craptop for it speedy lightweight performance tho.

Blackpage I think I can help you with your Gnome annoyances. If I'm understanding you, you want to quickyly view hidden files and start in some folder other then / or /home/username when launching nautilus?

first the hidden files thing. I use a script in /home/greg/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts

Quote:
#!/bin/sh

OLDSTATE=$(gconftool-2 --get "/desktop/gnome/file_views/show_hidden_files")

if [ "$OLDSTATE" == "false" ] ; then

NEWSTATE="True"

else

NEWSTATE="False"

fi

gconftool-2 --set "/desktop/gnome/file_views/show_hidden_files" --type boolean $NEWSTATE

that wink is suppose to be a closed paranthesis

You will get an option when you right click in gnome for scripts just make it executable then you can toggle off and on teh hidden files.

Now for the nautilus browser thingy.

go into gconf editor > apps > nautilus > desktop uncheck home_icon_visible that will make the defautl launcer disappear.

then create a new launcher with the following options

nautilus --no-desktop --no-default-window /home

if you don't liek the new spatial nautilus and prefer teh browser method do this

nautilus --no-desktop --browser --no-default-window /home

tehn booya your all fixed up. If this isn't what you wnat then maybe someone else will find it usefull smile

Compared to my experience with RedHat 9/Gnome, I think I will stick to KDE. Seems a tad more stable and cooperative if you ask me. Then again, I liked the industrial look and feel of 2k so go figure. I like things that work, period. Even if it means less frills.

@ egorgry

Hey, thanx a million, that's a superlative hint! If it indeed manages it to make file I/O more smooth in GIMP e.g. then I'll owe you big time. Thanx again smile

I've not tried IceWM for years, it looked dated and was not very accessible when I used it last. I've not tried fluxbox, can I install it on Fed 2?

KDE works well but the themes available are woeful. I think Gnome works well enough and looks quite nice and functional with bluecurve for example.

Egorgry, keep the tips coming. Some useful advice there. Is there any way of forcing Gnome to remember window placement settings and or icon views? Sorry to go off topic smile

Originally posted by cardinal:

Quote:
I've not tried IceWM for years, it looked dated and was not very accessible when I used it last.

Hi Card,

IceWM does indeed look "dated" and frankly not very interesting when you first see it. However, IceWM is highly configurable with tools like Icepref and Icecc. Menu editing is so easy you can do it from gedit or VI.

IceWM is a little more difficult to install of RH/FC, but I've done it plenty times and could guide you through it if interested. If you just want to "smoke it over" again, I'd download the latest RPM and install it. To run, exit out to GDM, choose "failsafe terminal." Once the terminal comes up go:

icewm-session [enter]

And it should come right up. Use Iccc to configure..

To give you an idea of configurability, here's my first attempt at configuring my own IceWM theme about a year ago.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/352713/void1.jpg

For fluxbox and icewm(i havn't tried this yet, but going to assume something here) they both don't have sound servers. I like to be able to play music then watch a video clip at the same time or play music and play a game and have both music clips going. In kde, i have all the stuff filter through arts and what not. Now, for fluxbox is there someway to have the dual inputs and what not? I want to get away from the windows looking environment but I can't give up some things. Do I just have a sound server running in flux if iwant this to work or what?

Daum

I can get them each to run but can't have them both running at the same time. in kde atm i filter all audio through arts, thus allowing me to play multiple inputs at once. if i have xmms running then go to play mplayer, i get audio device busy or what have you. was wondering if there was a way to get this working without having to start an audio server in flux or what?

Daum