Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Malaris

Half-Life 2 vs. Halo 2

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

halo 2.. bad graphics.. bad physics..

half life is opposite.

well.. you think your good, but if you playd halo 2 agains a equally skilled person who used mouse and keyboard you would have lost..

and yeah.. halo2 on console got some "aid" helping you shoot.. as every fps in the console world.

well. i get the feeling you havent played half life 2.

EH!! any way I want a favor...

In half life 1 ( the orange virson ) with Mr. gordon on the cover of the box, I need to know what happens in the end! I remmber playing till we had to go to the aliens world. then i met with this huge monster and took me so long to kill him. after he died, portals started going out of his head, but i didnt know what to do. i kept trying to jump on his head and try to land on one of those portals but it wouldnt work,so i was stuck with a monster blowing portals out of his head lol. well any way that was long time ago, I uninstalled the game and didnt bother with it at all. But i still wanna know what happens in the end.

Quote:
Im so good with controller man! every game i get between 10 - 20 sniper head shots PER GAME!. There is some thing called ''learning''.

yeah i once got 50 kills in counter strike with a auto sniper (cs militia as a terrorist). With a mouse you have more control over where your crosshair is so you can move it instantly to where you want it however aiming a sniper rifle in console games is a bit hit and miss. also im left handed and so it means that halo 2 multiplayer is instantly out of the question for me.

Quote:
tell me what stuff you didnt like about halo 2.

well halo 2 is a case of been there done that. its gameplay is a bit stale and its nothing that hasnt been done before.

oh and ive got bad news for people who think halo 2 multiplayer is better. half life 2 deathmatch has just been released and its so fun (just try chucking a toilet and see what i mean).

Ok, here we go ... Half Life 2 vs Halo 2.

Why did I choose Half Life 2?

Half Life 2 does SOOO much to improve on Half Life. The environments are greatly interactive. I can do a LOT more now than flush a toilet. The graphics are top notch. I haven't spotted any pop-in on the level of detail of characters when I get close. The water looks wonderful. The AI reacts smarter and more realistically - of both your teammates and the enemies. The physics of the vehicles are fun. Um ... I think the only vehicles you got to 'drive' in the first Half Life was those stupid trolly things. The physics are fun with everything! Oh yeah, and they did take a way a lot of the stupid jumping games.

Halo 2 does not do that much to improve on the first Halo. I feel like I am re-embarking on basically the same adventure. The re-use of textures is amazing (sarcasm). The AI of the enemies and of your teammates is a very canned feeling. The graphics are good and I can understand why they aren't better than HL2, BUT there is one thing that I would detract from the score here on. There is this horrible horrible pop-in - that is especially witnessed in the cutscenes. I would rather have a slightly lower level of detail without pop-in. The pop-in is so jarring! Gameplay is fun - hell I like to shoot stuff. You get to wield two weapons - which is an improvement over the first that is a LOT of fun. The physics on the vehicles and ragdoll are nice - just like the first Halo. Multiplayer is just a bit more exciting than the first Halo. BUT, I would have to give Halo 2 the props for having a built in new multiplayer from the start, rather than HL2 which depends on the mod community and updated version of the old multiplayer. BUT, if we are going to argue about multiplayer I would also have to say UT2004 is the best. But, we aren't arguing about multiplayer, we aren't even arguing, we are just giving our opinions on what we think is better and why.

Conclusion. I think Half Life 2 is better because of the fact that it does so much to improve FPS's all together and because it is extremely polished. While, Halo 2 on the other hand does a lot to improve on, but then has some things that detract from my opinion on it - like the pop in and the fact that it seems to re-use some of the first Halo too much.

note: This is aside from the kbd/ms vs console controller war. I have played many PC and Console games and like most of them. I'll just list FPS's here

PC: Doom, Doom II, Duke Nukem, Decent, Sin, Half Life, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, UT 2004, Tribes, Tribes 2, Tribes Vengence, Half Life 2

Console: Goldeneye, Forsaken 64, Duke Nukem 64, Quake II, Medal of Honor, Timesplitters 2, Halo, Halo 2, Riddick

If you really want me to explain the ending of Half Life, e-mail me at swingler@gmail.com.

I would love to tell me the ending and actully how could I passed that big monster '' in here''.

In half life 1 ( the orange virson ) with Mr. gordon on the cover of the box, I need to know what happens in the end! I remmber playing till we had to go to the aliens world. then i met with this huge monster and took me so long to kill him. after he died, portals started going out of his head, but i didnt know what to do. i kept trying to jump on his head and try to land on one of those portals but it wouldnt work,so i was stuck with a monster blowing portals out of his head lol. well any way that was long time ago, I uninstalled the game and didnt bother with it at all. But i still wanna know what happens in the end.

JHC, keep your shirt on. There is only one NTC staff member, and that's Phillip. Everyone else posts when they feel like it/have time, so don't go around demanding people help you.

That being said.

At the end of HL you need to use the jump pads and ledges to get as high up as possible, then use the final jump pad to jump into the big baby's head after it opens. At this point you should have shot out the 3 yellos crystals that recharge him and done significant damage so his head will open.

There will be a green portal. Jump through that and you be taken to another location (battlefield) on Xen where GMan tells you that humans are winning then you get zapped to an Osprey flying in space/another dimension where GMan makes you an offer you can't refuse. Either you work for him, or he sends you to a valley where there are hundreds of the wasp-launching three armed things that get very cranky. Depening on which of these you choose you get a "Deceased" or "Awaiting Assignment" message and then cut to credits.

thx Mr.flix. also can u tell me some thing mysterois that i never had the chance to find out since that i was 6 grade when i played half life 1, while i was playing, some times i see a man walking with a blue suit and a suit case, actuly if you plz tell me the whole story of half life 1, Im not american, i came to united states 4 years ago, and i played half life with acutlly no attention to story. I will really appricate it if u help me, thx!!!

Originally posted by arkonmx:

Quote:
the 1998 Unreal Tournament

it was really 1999..

Quote:
My last words, "look beyond Halo2."

AMEN

i cant chose either 2 b/c

the greatest singleplayer game was "Quake II"

and the greatest multiplayer game was "Unreal Tournament"

Rekyrts, *sigh* STFU you dumb ass, ur a noob that dont know what a good game is, half life 2, wait, actully half life 1 was better than quake 2 and ur cheap ass UNreal STFU!!!

NOw can u tell me half life 1 story, felix tell me story dogg!

and can any one tell me how can i become a seinor member, cause i dont like just the word ''member'' next to my amazing awsome name! MUTASEM SEMAKIEH

This is a post to compare Half Life 2 to Halo 2. If you really want to talk about the story of Half Life I suggest you open up a new thread because there are many questions about that game that could be discussed.

Also, sorry I didn't answer your question about the ending of Half Life, but if you read my whole reply, you would have realized you could have e-mailed me about it.

hmmmm.... would u just tell me plz? i swear i wont post another comment ! just tell me plz plz plz

and excusme me .. I dont need any tips, i played the game and was about a second away from finsihing it. I just need the story!!!! AND WTF IS A IMO???? AND WHY DO U THINK HALO 2 HAS MORE POP UPS THAN HALO 1??

Mutasem,

Basic story of HL is your standard conspiracy thoery.

The guy in the Blue Suit (GMan) is the administrator of the Black Mesa facility (supposedly with Gov't links ie Area 51, CIA, NSA).

So, these scientists work out that using some new fangled gizmo they can teleport, but only using a triangulation of a co-ordinate on the Xen world. As a consequence, the Xen dwellers get mighty pissed off about this interuption and the fact that earth is much nicer than Xen, so when the cascade failure occurs (during the sample testing) they take the opportunity to have a hunting vacation on earth. Actually GMan likely knew this would happen and ordered the test to continue regardless.

Then Freeman decides that he doesn't like the new neighbours and begins to ask them to leave and GMan decides that this is quite nice, but has the military go in anyway as there are always more soldiers to fight.

Basically GMan is the equivalent to "Smoking Man" from X-Files who attempts to control/influence both sides to his own ends, which is why you can't shoot him, ever.

Wow THX man, Amazing!! When I was playing half life, i didnt know how to speak english at all lol!! any way thx a lot man, because its funny that now im a sophmore and still get those thoughts about who the hell was that man. But dang man!! I feel like going right now and buyinh half life 1 again!! lol. ok have fun guys.. Just dont be harsh on halo 2. BYE!!

Ill still be checking this site sometimes but Im not posting ! :P

Originally posted by Mutasem Semakieh:

Quote:

That can only be a good thing after posts like this:

Quote:
Rekyrts, *sigh* STFU you dumb ass, ur a noob that dont know what a good game is, half life 2, wait, actully half life 1 was better than quake 2 and ur cheap ass UNreal STFU!!!

Anyhoo. I've just this minute finished HL2 and what I said before still holds true; first class right until the end.

BTW - Make sure you watch after the credits. smile

Originally posted by ross_aveling:

Quote:

Quote:

That can only be a good thing after posts like this:

Quote:

Anyhoo. I've just this minute finished HL2 and what I said before still holds true; first class right until the end.

BTW - Make sure you watch after the credits. smile

Amen to THAT

Quote:
AND WTF IS A IMO????

In My Opinion

Quote:
AND WHY DO U THINK HALO 2 HAS MORE POP UPS THAN HALO 1??

When you say 'pop ups', are you in reference to the post I submitted about pop-in? I don't think there is more pop-in, I know there is more pop-in. Newer games are doing it a lot more often now. Some games do it better than other games and you don't notice it, but Halo 2 does it pretty badly, especially during cinematics. Star Wars Galaxies and Killzone are pretty bad too. Even my friend who is a Halo fanboy is disgusted by the bad pop-in of Halo 2. In order to save on framerate, programmers have developed a means of detailing ... What happens is, as the camera gets closer to an object, the object will swap with bigger better versions that have higher poly count and higher texture detail. So, when a camera does a cut from across the room to suddenly next to the shoulder of a character, the character's higher detail model swaps and that is where you see the pop-in. There are things you can do to make this better like calculate ahead of time to see if the camera will be there and swap before the camera moves, but Halo 2 doesn't do that and therefore you experience the visually jarring pop-in. It isn't as evident during gameplay because the camera isn't doing cuts from one place to another. Nonetheless, there is jarring pop-in in Halo 2.

Does half life 2 have any kind of pop ups or pop ins ??

and can you tell me why do programers trying to save the frame rate and other shit like that?

and can you explain the reason why most of games wasnt able to fix the zik zacks problems when u look at hard corners or a face in a game

and can you tell me about ur carrers in makign video games?

and can u sign me ur auto graph ?

8)

Quote:

NOw can u tell me half life 1 story, felix tell me story dogg!

and can any one tell me how can i become a seinor member, cause i dont like just the word ''member'' next to my amazing awsome name! MUTASEM SEMAKIEH

you dont know a good game when you see it... and no IMO HL sucked i didnt see what the big deal was... it do not show anything new graphic wise.. and i thought the game play was like every other shooter out there... unless you love the opening cart ride that took FOREVER... and let me Guess you hate DooM1,2,and Final? or how bout Wolf3D. b/c if you cant see how good quake2 was... then you do not need to play another FPS...(did you ever play quake2)

I did play all quakes BUT quake 3....

so whats ur point? quake 2 right now is more fun to play than halo2? or half life 2?? who gives a damn about an old classic game huh??

WHATS UR GOD DAMN POINT??? I DONT GET PEOPLE THAT THINK LIKE YOU!!! QUAKE 2 IS OLD ..... GET OVER IT!!!! GOD DAMN!! ''EVERY GAME THAT IS WAS GOOD LONG TIME AGO IS NOT AND I REPEAT ITS NOT BETTER THAN GAMES WE HAVE NOW!!! an ugly graphics game with the crappiest game play ever is NOT better than halo 2 or half life 2.... thank you.

Half life 1 was a lot more challenging and more fun than quake... I remmber some parts in HL 1 that i still wanna play even though the game sucks by now. and I LOVED DOOM... I LOVED QUAKE 1.. I LOVED DUKE.. but I didnt get to play quake 2 till after I played half life 1... and i gotta admit that half life 1 was a kick ass. ehh im done... im gonna go beat San Andreas.

Feel free to qoute me if u want

Quote:
I did play all quakes BUT quake 3....

so whats ur point? quake 2 right now is more fun to play than halo2? or half life 2?? who gives a damn about an old classic game huh??

WHATS UR GOD DAMN POINT??? I DONT GET PEOPLE THAT THINK LIKE YOU!!! QUAKE 2 IS OLD ..... GET OVER IT!!!! GOD DAMN!! ''EVERY GAME THAT IS WAS GOOD LONG TIME AGO IS NOT AND I REPEAT ITS NOT BETTER THAN GAMES WE HAVE NOW!!! an ugly graphics game with the crappiest game play ever is NOT better than halo 2 or half life 2.... thank you.

Half life 1 was a lot more challenging and more fun than quake... I remmber some parts in HL 1 that i still wanna play even though the game sucks by now. and I LOVED DOOM... I LOVED QUAKE 1.. I LOVED DUKE.. but I didnt get to play quake 2 till after I played half life 1... and i gotta admit that half life 1 was a kick ass. ehh im done... im gonna go beat San Andreas.

Feel free to qoute me if u want

what does age have to do with it??? just b/c its 'new' doesnt make it awsome or better.... i got board in half-life 1... theres more to a game then gfx... all gfx do is over hype a game... and yes im saying quake 2 is better then them... but its my opion not yours...

Are you ok?? I just played quake 2 to see what ur talking about.. and its totally useless... you still play quake 2 more than half life 2?? HALO 2??!!! If games dont tend to improve graphics... then whats the point of playing? games are ment to simulate real life, amd if a game fails to that then even if it has great game play, it will suck, and who told you halo 2 doesnt have great gameplay? halo2 online is amazing, non stop action, using cars,tanks,hovercrafts, rifels, duals, sowrds, and all that great team work with amazing graphics. where was I? oh quake 2 here,, ammm it sucks!!

I'm not going to argue most of those points, because to be honest you seem narrow minded and a fanboy, this isn't a personal dig, but your coments are extremely biased.

However u say games are meant to simulate real life? where does the dictionary say that?

Main Entry: 1game

Pronunciation: 'gAm

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gamen; akin to Old High German gaman amusement

1 a (1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement : PLAY (2) : the equipment for a game b : often derisive or mocking jesting : FUN, SPORT <make game of a nervous player>

2 a : a procedure or strategy for gaining an end : TACTIC b : an illegal or shady scheme or maneuver : RACKET

3 a (1) : a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other (2) : a division of a larger contest (3) : the number of points necessary to win (4) : points scored in certain card games (as in all fours) by a player whose cards count up the highest (5) : the manner of playing in a contest (6) : the set of rules governing a game (7) : a particular aspect or phase of play in a game or sport <a football team's kicking game> b plural : organized athletics c (1) : a field of gainful activity : LINE <the newspaper game> (2) : any activity undertaken or regarded as a contest involving rivalry, strategy, or struggle <the [censored] game> <the game of politics>; also : the course or period of such an activity <got into aviation early in the game> (3) : area of expertise : SPECIALTY 3 <comedy is not my game>

4 a (1) : animals under pursuit or taken in hunting; especially : wild animals hunted for sport or food (2) : the flesh of game animals b archaic : PLUCK c : a target or object especially of ridicule or attack -- often used in the phrase fair game

synonym see FUN

Note the synonym is FUN, therefore games should surely be something that one finds a fun diversion or fun form of amusement. Hence ur opinion of 'games should be realistic' is relative only to people of that opinion.

You mention that quake 2 is 'totally useless', it is a game which is meant to entertain, and it does this job, so hadsn't it filled all the requierements for it to be classed as a game?

The point of playing games that 'don't improve in graphics' is perhaps better gameplay, a old favourite, fuller storyline, better soundtrack, more longevity, or perhaps even nostalgia. I often have to stem a tear when I break out my Mega Drive 2 and play on Streets of Rage 2 and Desert Strike. Why? Because this is my personal preference and they were some of the first games I really got in to.

Halo 2 gameplay IS good, but all you need is a quick trigger finger and a pair of opposable thumbs to complete the game, because gameplay is repetitive and once the 'style' of combat is aqquired, then it all becomes the same. Yes, many games are like this, but they often break up core periods of gameplay.

Halo2 online is good, but definitly not amazing, yes there are lots of vehicles, and as a pro in halo and halo 2, only n00bs (people either new to halo or players who are unchivalric and do anything to win, EG killing their own teammate so they can 'capture the flag' and get much more points) use vehicles because it requires less skill to kill some one in a vehicles as it does with other weapons.

Team-work? games such as halo 2 don't require team work at all, and most players dont work as a unit anyway. Amazing graphics? Yes, they are good graphics (if a bit on the shiny/glossy side- lots of bright colours all the time)but they aren't groundbreaking or awe inspiring, since they are limited by the xbox's technology (not that this is sub-par in gaming nowadays).

However, I am not slating Halo 2, as I like, enjoy and think it is a very good game, but I am doing this to try and open ur mind just a tiny bit.