Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Malaris

Half-Life 2 vs. Halo 2

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

I'm so sorry, I jusy had to do it now that they are both released.

Please post with every vote, I don't want fanboys posting here and saying things along the line of 'Halo 2 is shit' and 'Half-Life 2 blows' etc.

Give reasons for your answers.

My personal favourite is Half-Life 2, I find the story scarily submersive. Whilst progression in the game is actually fairly linear, I feel that it is done in such a style that it doesn't fell like you are following a set path.

The graphics and sound ARE the best I've ever seen/heard. The system I played it on wasn't the pinnacle of gaming machines either, but it did meet the preferred(not minimum or recommended) requirements. The shear variety of sound is good, and it makes full use of surround sound (5.1 at least, not sure about higher sound formats). I won't go on about the graphics lest you have a few hours to spare reading my ramblings.....

Counter Strike: Source is THE best online FPS I have played. My repetoire of games played online includes; UT(all), halo 1 + 2, Deus Ex, BF1942, SW:Battlefront, and more (sorry if I missed any obvious ones, these are the first that came to mind).

It combines the fast paced/frantic action of UT with the necessity for tactical awareness on games such as Halo and SW:Battlefront.

But most importantly-the game engine. The physics really are like real life, the first time I played it, I dragged a rusting bicycle up the stairs of an appartment block (while scraping the walls) and smashed some poor man's window in his flat with it. I then pulled his TV out of the socket and threw it out of the window, where it smashed on the street below, genius! 8)

The way that barrels roll, pipes burst and interactive scenery behaves, it's like objects have AI.

If you disagree, then argue your case for Halo 2, but remember everyone's opinion will differ.

BTW, I'm not a salesman working for Valve, honest! :P

Since I don't own and Xbox I can't really say which I prefer and I have yet to purchase HL2 wink

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
Since I don't own and Xbox I can't really say which I prefer and I have yet to purchase HL2 wink

Hopefully any opinions posted here will persuade you to get HL2. wink

BTW, I really like Halo 2 aswell, I just prefer HL2, I sounded a bit biased earlier.

Single-Player

Half-Life 2

Multi-Player

Halo 2 (Since Counterstrike isn't an option......)

Quote:
Counter Strike: Source is THE best online FPS I have played. My repetoire of games played online includes; UT(all), halo 1 + 2, Deus Ex, BF1942, SW:Battlefront, and more (sorry if I missed any obvious ones, these are the first that came to mind).
It combines the fast paced/frantic action of UT with the necessity for tactical awareness on games such as Halo and SW:Battlefront.
It might be the best FPS in your type of genre, but I don't quite think bunny hopping would work in real life. And not one game you put in your list could be considered a sim. Most are disguised frag fest games. What you should try are any of the Rainbow Six games, Ghost Recon, America's Army, and belive it or not, Vietcong (WHEN its working online). Call of Duty, MOH & MOHPA, Men of Valor, are not a true sim, nor is any of the BF games. But now if you want to try something different, and even the Army uses it for training, and its on both the PC and X-Box - they try Full Spectrum Warrior!

Oh, and I voted for HL2! I bought Halo2, and its just sitting here collecting dust already.

I can only say HL2. I've not got an XBox so I'll wait for the PC version of Halo 2.

I agree completely with Waffler on this. I think above all else, the game is the single most polished release I've played to date. Everything in it exudes quality.

Just to mention the physics system. It actually does make things behave like they would in real life. To have to manipulate the environment around you in order to progress through it makes it a worthy inclusion for once. Other games like Max Payne 2 (another one of my favourites btw) have only used physics to give them that extra visual panache, and although it’s still fun shooting bottles off a shelf, HL2 goes far beyond this and has IMO, the best implementation of physics yet.

Everything else is up to the same high standard. The graphics and presentation are excellent, the audio (especially the NPC dialogue) is outstanding and the narrative keeps you engrossed. The only bugbear I have with the game is the quite frequent loading delays, but that can’t be helped I suppose.

I could have written an essay ‘bigging up’ HL2. Just play it if you haven’t already done so (Steam problems not withstanding) and let the game speak for itself. laugh

Oh, and I voted for HL2! I bought Halo2, and its just sitting here collecting dust already.

So your saying that your Halo 2 is collecting dust?? hmmmm... well look! I m Rich! i have all systems and almost every game i feel like buying! i went and bought halo 2 the night it came out. it was totally awsome! the online play is incredible! dont make a mistake but using keyboard and mouse is pretty gay! how are you gonna feel like your shooting a gun? hey hey now! i can shoot you in the head for more that 10 times in the row in halo 2! just because its a controller, and just because you suck, you dont have to hate halo 2.

and one more thing... half life's online play was not fun at all!!

i know people play counter strike, but it gets boring for just repeating the same crap over and over.. ( kill the team, plant the bomb) or ( kill the team and rescue hostges) ! it gets really boring after a while. but halo 2's CTF, slayer, odd ball, teretories, and lots of options, these stuf make the game fresh and fun. so i think you should actully wipe the dust off you halo 2 and play.!

Originally posted by Mutasem Semakieh:

Quote:
...using keyboard and mouse is pretty gay! how are you gonna feel like your shooting a gun?

OMG, classic. smile

half life 2..

because of the greate mod oppertunities and i like cs source..

there are coming cool mods to hl2 as we speak and they include all the original DM from HL 1 .

i like that alot.

half life 2 has alot, and i mean ALOT better graphics..

IMO at least..

and yeah.. i HATE, and now i seriously mean HATE , fps and third person games on consoles.. specially fps games..

need a mouse and keyboard..

anyone know when the launch of halo 2 pc version is out?

Best regards.

ES

Originally posted by Waffler:

Quote:
This was exactly the kind of childish post I was trying to get away from.

So your calling me a child?

Listen you PC freak! PC's are NOT ment for FPS period!!

In case you dont know... halo 2 had 10 out of 10, where half life 2 had 9.5 out of ten in the magazine ''gameinfomer'' check www.gameinformer.com to make sure!. i know it doesnt mean anything, but it's sad to know there are still idiots that say FPS is better on pc blah blah blah. The only PC games I play are games like Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, and all those other strategy games. and by the way.. half life 2 is coming on xbox soon for you non-readers.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

JK

I finsished Halflife 2 and I can honestly say the single player is the best ever, minus another enigmatic ending.

Halo2, I had to restart twice cause my xbox crapped out on me, but it too is epic in scale, though it's not quite as engaging as Half-life 2

BOth games are better than any other FPS out there so you would enjoy either one.

I'd have to give the edge to hal-life mainly because the attention to detail and the source engine and all it's glory

However, I am truly amazed at how good Halo 2 PLays on a 57" Widescreen HDTV.

Can't go wrong either way.

You guys need to understand that ''XBOX have Limited Hardware capability'' but some times its the other way around. Dont get me worng but the halo 1 port for pc was the gayest ever!! the graphics went a lot worse.

Another important aspect is that which is more important ? single player or multiplayer ? I think you guessed that one.

if you check my first review, you can tell that im talking about ''MULTIPLAYER''.

Halo 2's multiplayer is BETTER than half-life 2. But im pretty sure there is going to be a new counter strike on the way.

well.. if we look at history and presence..

who has most online gamers? Half life 1and 2 or halo 1 and 2?

there is no doubt..

many millions play hl 1 and 2.. halo cant even get past 15 percent of that.. maybe 10 on a good day.

so, when we look at the worlds oppinion HL is the winner by far.

and the reason halo 1 sucked on pc was because they didnt use enough time to convert the game to pc. which is because the engine is designed to run on an xbox..

My two pennies...

Originally posted by Mutasem Semakieh:

Quote:
You guys need to understand that ''XBOX have Limited Hardware capability'' but some times its the other way around. Dont get me worng but the halo 1 port for pc was the gayest ever!! the graphics went a lot worse.

I must agree here, the Halo port to PC was abysmal (and I'm sure many people will agree). Lets hope they do a better job with the sequel.

Quote:
Another important aspect is that which is more important ? single player or multiplayer ? I think you guessed that one.

if you check my first review, you can tell that im talking about ''MULTIPLAYER''.

Halo 2's multiplayer is BETTER than half-life 2. But im pretty sure there is going to be a new counter strike on the way.

Neither aspect is more important IMO, many games ship with single and multiplayer modes so to appeal to as many people as possible; it's all down to personal preference.

And how can you compare Halo 2's multiplayer to Half-Life 2, seeing as HL2 doesn't have a multi-player mode as of yet? As for your comments that the PC is rubbish at FPS games, exactly how much exposure have you had to FPS titles on the PC, it would be interesting to know.

And just for the record, the greatest online shooter is Unreal Tournament 2004. smile

Having played both games many times and owning both i would say that Halo 2 is a better game.

Both games have its good and bad bits such as

Halo 2 is too easy to finish but is a big step from Halo 1. It has better graphics and bigger levels.

Half- Life has a great story line but i dont like the game play. That is my suggestion only.

About my Exploration'' in PC FPS, I did play lots and lots PC fps.

first fps i ever played was Doom'' << i dont remmber which one was it. Then i played quake 1 which really got my attention. Then duke nukem which was totaly amazing. Then finaly half life ( the orange ) virsion. After half life 1 i bought xbox then ps2 and i fell in love with halo for its amazing Lan Party play, and now halo 2!

Look... after i started playing consoles I really started hating mouse and keyboard. I gotta admit, I think that half life's 1 single player was better than halo 1 but in multiplayer, i never stop.

Halo 2 is boring, Xbox game just like the original. Graphics ain't all that. Gameplay is very boring. Limited maps similar to the old Halo1. Characters? Same, just a few new looks. Can't even control the CPU team members like in Unreal Tournament, but we'll stick to subject. Sound quality is excellent, but you can't beat PC custumizable sound, even if your Xbox's sound is channeled to a receiver.

Half Life 2 has more options 'cuz it was released on the PC. Better graphics and a way better story. Better, why? Because you get to flush out the most hellish graphics with your machine. Crank up the sound with an Audigy card, and what the hell do you have? Live action! Cinematics are better than Halo2.

Half Life 2 is seriously better in my opinion. Halo is really old. Even the 1998 Unreal Tournament is better than the first Halo and second Halo put together. Halo is limited to a game console, it's game console product. It's for parties where people don't have money to buy high-end PC's to play Half Life 2 or other such games. It's an honest answer. I'm not rich, but I also can't play Halo2 because it's hella boring. The multiplayer sucks for Halo2.

My last words, "look beyond Halo2."

Originally posted by arkonmx:

Quote:
Halo 2 is boring,

."

Halo 2 is boring?? what about the other 5 million or mabe more sold? do you think your right? did u play multiplayer?...

see i have some thing for you... If you live in a closet with no one to play with and not xbox live! Then half life 2 is totaly yours to love! but dont be hateing on a game that has LOTS and LOTS of fans....

Originally posted by Waffler:

Quote:
*sigh*

and about you waffler.. why the hell did you even open this room if ur gonna disagree with every review I make? Ill tell you what, when half life 2 comes on xbox (with online play) then ill start comparing. *sigh* looks like 90 % are PC freaks and wouldnt spend a penny on a console. Just let me tell you some thing.. When i wanna play a game, I like to sit on my leather sofa, with cold drinks next to me,with a 54 LCD Flat screen TV, and a nice ass xbox controller with ( VIBRATION ), PC?? when I sit on PC for a long time you start feeling like ur starting to grow a hunch back! I dont give a Monkeys ass if key board and mouse are classic, it DOESNT simulate the real feeling of shooting a gun. If you think Xbox doesnt have nice graphics, then wait for Xbox 2!

Um, the XBox controller doesn't simulate firing a weapon either.

Unless the "VIBRATRON" gives it a kick like a mule that nearly dislocates your shoulder if you hold it in the wrong position.

Now don't get me wrong, I have an XBox and enjoy playing Halo but I can't be bothered playing multi-player. However, I still play HL and a few others in both single player, multi-player and bot match (actually the original Unreal bots remind me of the Quake 1 Reaper Bots).

Personally I think it's a little unhealthy to get so wound up over any "toy" and just accept that some people like the unlimited configurations of the KBD/MOUSE combo and some like the restrictive, right-handed bias of console controllers.

felix is 100% right about that.

im in the army and i know that the vibration on xbox is more like holding the tail of a mouse.. (if the mouse is still alive).

but the thing is that you got more aim with a mouse than with consoles.. there is a reason why counter - strike is on pc..

i dont hate consoles, but lets just say that youll get more from your money if you buy Half-life 2.

half life 2 is out, and have been for some weeks now (in europe around 2 i think).

and there are lots of lots of mods and addons for half-life 2.

which make the online experience more exciting than ever.

yes i know that only source is bundled, but then again.. isnt there already a hl2 dm mod out?

you get my point?

that is why i love the pc. its freedom. give or take..

i know you can mod your xbox, but then its just like a pc.. the only thing you lack is a keyboard and a mouse..

You still didnt get the idea....

Im so good with controller man! every game i get between 10 - 20 sniper head shots PER GAME!. There is some thing called ''learning''.

tell me what stuff you didnt like about halo 2.