Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wicked101

Linux Suse 9.1 with WLAN

Hi all, I've got a little problem, I'm new to the wonderful world of linux, I'm running Suse 9.1 Pro, my PC specs is P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard with onboard Wifi slot, I got the Asus Wifi-b card with antenna, with XP it work fine but I cant get Linux to even get a signal to my Access Point. I hope that someone could be able to help me please.

Thanks

Wicked

Is the card detected and installed correctly (in YaST2 or hardware browser)?

I think SUSE 9.1 has IPv6 enabled by default, you may want to try turning that off.

Hmmm, like I said, I'm still a bit new with linux, I know it as well as a 80 year old knows how a cellphone works, slowly please.

I've played with Yast a little bit, and I think it picked up the Wifi card, but then again it could be anything it picked up and cause it says ASUS I thought it could be the card. I've got an ASUS (P4C800-E Deluxe) motherboard with onboard Wifi slot, so I bought the ASUS Wifi-b card, it says on the box "For ASUS Wi-Fi slot only, not PCI interface".

What is IPv6? and how do I turn it off? please.

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Hmm.. I wonder about the Asus card in their specially designed wifi slot and legacy card. I just got an Asus A7N8X-E, which I am setting up today. Did you look on google? I did s small search and came up empty Linux wise. They don't mention what chipset that they are using. Any idea what chipset it is?

Does it work in Windows..if so, is a special driver required?

And..is the card support enabled in the bios?

In Suse, does the control panel (yast) see the card?

How about ifconfig run in a terminal?

Just a note, if you're not familiar with ifconfig, it's similar to ipconfig in Windows 2000/XP.

Invoke it by:

/sbin/ifconfig

smile

Originally posted by adamvjackson:

Quote:
Just a note, if you're not familiar with ifconfig, it's similar to ipconfig in Windows 2000/XP.

Invoke it by:

/sbin/ifconfig

smile

Sorry, I missed the new to Linux part. As adamvjackson suggested, run it in a terminal. See if you get more than one line of output, other than a line with "lo" (local). If you do, post the result, if possible.

Also, run lspci -vv -s in the terminal (thats 2 v's not a w) and see if the card model seems to be described in the text that results that remotely notes "wifi" or the card, such as;

0000:00:09.0 Network controller: RaLink Wireless PCI Adpator RT2400 / RT2460

Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 0126

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 0x40 (256 bytes)

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16

Region 0: Memory at fde00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Reference

Thanks to all for the posts, I will try this now and get back to you A.S.A.P., I have to shut my PC to get into Linux first.

And danleff, to answer your question, yes, it works 100% in Windows, it needs a driver, nothing special I dont think, because its a WiFi slot I can either use my motherboard CD to install the driver or I can use the CD that came with my WiFi@home card.

OK, I will try this now and get back to you.

Thanks

OK, I did it, with "/sbin/ifconfig" I got;

(none):~ # /sbin/ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:6E:AE:AE:A6

inet6 addr: fe80::20c:6eff:feae:aea6/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Base address:0xcf80 Memory:fe9e0000-fea00000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:182 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:182 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:11932 (11.6 Kb) TX bytes:11932 (11.6 Kb)

And with this "lspci -vv -s" I got;

(none):~ # lspci -vv -s

lspci: option requires an argument -- s

Usage: lspci [<switches>]

-v Be verbose

-n Show numeric ID's

-b Bus-centric view (PCI addresses and IRQ's instead of those seen by the CPU)

-x Show hex-dump of the standard portion of config space

-xxx Show hex-dump of the whole config space (dangerous; root only)

-s [[<bus>]:][<slot>][.[<func>]] Show only devices in selected slots

-d [<vendor>]:[<device>] Show only selected devices

-t Show bus tree

-m Produce machine-readable output

-i <file> Use specified ID database instead of /usr/share/pci.ids

-M Enable `bus mapping' mode (dangerous; root only)

-P <dir> Use specified directory instead of /proc/bus/pci

-H <mode> Use direct hardware access (<mode> = 1 or 2)

-F <file> Read configuration data from given file

-G Enable PCI access debugging

I dont think the -s worked in "lspci -vv -s", so I did it without it, just "lspci -vv" and then it gave me a whole lot of stuff, but this is the one you asked for;

0000:03:0d.0 Network controller: Unknown device 1814:0101

Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 0127

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

Latency: 64, cache line size 04

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21

Region 0: Memory at feafc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

If you want the rest of it let me know and I can paste all of it for you.

Thanks again,

Wicked

Hi, I just looked on the box of the WiFi card, I think the model is "WiFi-B/RALINK-EAY", that's exactly how they say it on the box.

Hmmm, I hope someone can help me with this problem, I still cant get it to work. Please please please.

Thanks

couple of things to try. *DISCLAIMER* I've never messed with wireless or suse.

lspci -v | grep -i ethernet

you should get back some info like this

lspci -v | grep -i ethernet

0000:02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller

it looks like you see something but it's not getting an IP

as root check your default route

netstat -rn

as root type

dhclient

this will try to get you an IP from your ISP/router

Hi Wicked101,

Ipv6 is the new protocol websites are supposed to be migrating over to from Ipv4, which is what most all use now.

Do you see your card on this list?

Which chipset does it show?

Hi Dan,

I cant find mine in that list, I dont even know what to look for, what I can tell you about this card:

ASUS WiFi-b

802.11b Wireless Lan Card (For ASUS WiFi slot only, not PCI interface)

WiFi@HOME

WiFi-B/RALINK.EAY

P.NO:90-C1TAC5-00EAY

MADE IN TAIWAN

44CG216836

On windows it says:

ASUS 802.11b Network Adapter

Driver File : RT2400.sys

Provider: Ralink Technology Inc.

File version: 1.09.03.0000 built by :WinDDK

That is all the info I can give you.

If possible, please help, slowly.

Thanks

Yes, exactly, that is correct, thats my card, the one and only

I do have regular PCI slots, 5 of them, but the WiFi takes up the space of Slot 5, therefore WiFi and slot 5 cant be shared, and I think it might even se slot 5 as bus.

I've been Googling your card and have come up empty with it working with Linux. The reason I asked about regular PCI slots was, if your ASUS card can't be configured to work with Linux, you may want to consider another wireless PCI card. I use the Netgear MA311 802.11b. It's not that expensive and does work very well. Just something to consider...

Thanks for all the help, I will have to find a job before I can buy anything new.

But, I have a USB wireless dongle, its a Fibreline "WLAN Mini USB Dongle"

FCC ID: PANWL1207

I've tried this as well but I dont have a cooking clue what I am doing with Linux, yet smile

Do you think I would be able to use the USB one?

Thanks

It doesn't look too good either, see here.

I would consider either what Dan suggested, or a wired NIC card for now. At $10 or so USD, it would save a lot of headaches.

Does this motherboard have on onboard NIC, as my A7n7x does?

Yes, it has a 10/100/1000 onboard LAN card.

It looks like I am just not one of those lucky people, I'm busy getting used to it.

The problem is that I'm not close to the router, the router is downstairs on the DSL in my father-in-laws office and my PC is upstairs in my room and I cant have any cables and stuff lying around, its not my house. If I could've dont it that way I would've used LAN, I only went to wireless cause I did not have any other option.

OK, so, it looks like I am up to my ears in bad luck, thanks anyway for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and I'm really sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been busy with all kinds of other stuff and did not get round to my Linux, I've only got the one PC and to swop HDD to use Linux and then back to Windows is a pain, that is why I want my internet working so that I can go over to Linux and stop using Windows.

I tried all of this and it looks good until I get to the last step where you run "./Configure", then you are supposed to run "make" but before you can do that it says something about it might be better if you use some other version of the config program or something like that, but the I run the make anyway and it works, but when I want to start the program with "./RaConfig" it says cant find the program or not valid or no such program or version or something, I cant remember exactly, it was a while ago that I tried it.

But since then I tried the new "Knoppix 3.7" Live CD, and then unpacked it on the HDD with some "SUDO" command thing and booted from the HDD into Knoppix, but I must be really dumb, cause I cant find anything related to Wireless in Knoppix.

Is it possible or are my chances better to do it with "Suse 9.1", I'm still really slow when it comes to any form of Linux, but I am very willing to learn and I want to make it my primary OS.

I will get my brother-in-laws old PC 2moro then I can install Linux on there and use it all the time till I get the wireless network running on it so that I can get internet, then I will install Linux on my PC too and forget that I ever used Windows smile