Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

Using Knoppix

i want to know how i can access files on my hard drive using knoppix, the files are locked, the folders being my home account and the root folder.

the distro on the hard drive is fedora core 3

the reason i need to do this is my system died, while using up2date it unexpectadly rebooted and now it cant boot up, any kernel i choose i had a total of five in case anything happened, just reboots the system so basically i press enter on say kernel selection 2.6.9 it reboots the computer for any kernel

so is there anyway to fix that with knoppix (i already tried upgrading my system)

knoppix version 3.6

so the two questions are

1. how do i get to locked folders i.e. /home/nothing and /root the hard drive mounts fine just cant get to it.

Gidday SoulNothing

Right, I hope I understood you correctly ... if you can mount the drive fine then it is probably a permission issue. One of the few things when not even root can't go into a directory is when the permission of the folder is set to "000", which stands for a clear "Go away!", even for root.

To solve this you will need to boot Knoppix, become root (I think you just need to type "su" or "sudo" in Knoppix-console), mount the disk in r/w-mode, and then "chmod" the folders in question. Something like this ...

Code:
dude@box # chmod ug+rw -R /rootordude@box # chmod 700 -R /root

I dunno what happened with your machine but maybe the occasional incantation of a "chown" might be necessary to restore things as they were.

hope this helps

...and yet another answer from the Knoppix faq;

Q: What is the root password?

A: There is none; all passwords are locked by default. You can set it by going Knoppix Menu->Root Shell and typing "passwd", then enterting a root password, also there are several sections you can read dealing with this subject in KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt. You can also type "sudo su" or "sudo -s" in any console window, or use <ctr>--F2 to get at the text console with already opened root shell.

Of course, this applies if you are using the LiveCD.