Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sk

Why is my laptop faster than desktop to resume windows?

Hello,

I've an Asus M3425CH laptop and a Shuttle SS51G pc both with WindowsXP. I've been samewhat surprised to note that my laptop is quite faster to Resume windows (after hibernation) than the pc. Can anyone explain why is that ?

Here are the details:

Laptop:

Centrino 1.4GHz, 400MHz bus (Intel 855 GM Chipset)

HD: IBM IC25N040ATCS04-0 Travelstar - 4200rpm 40GB UDMA5

512MB ram DDR266

Desktop

Pentium 2.4Ghz, 533MHz bus (sis651 chipset)

HD: Seagate ST380021 - Barracuda ATA IV - 7200rpm 80GB UDMA5

512MB Ram PC2700 (DDR333)

So the desktop has aprox same performance processor, faster bus, faster hd, faster ram. Still it takes 25 seconds for the desktop to resume and just 10 seconds for the laptop (time from whenthe screen "Resuming windows..." appears to the login screen)

My only idea is that during the resume phase, no windows driver is still loaded and it's directly the bios that handles disk access, so maybe the laptop has a much better bios.

500 extra points if anyone comes up with an idea (that doesn't involve buying new hardware) to make desktop as fast as laptop.

heres a thought that just poped into my mind and i can be wrong but it could be that your loading more background programs then you load on the laptop

The centirno is a much more powerful CPU than the P4, and hence ur getting faster bootup, even tho the P4 is higher clocked the Centrino is more effecient!

Isn't the problem recovering from hibernation? I would think that the bottleneck would be the disk read. I don't know what all is involved in recovering from this but I would think the CPU power would be a non factor.

Is you desktop older than your laptop?

They are used equally frequent (daily), I defrag with Diskeeper Pro and I have almost the same software installed on both except desktop has Bluetooth Logitech diNovo keyboard and adaptec 2940 scsi that controls the Plextors cd+cdr.

I do not think the difference in cpu power matters either, and when I think of it have always thought that laptops resume and boot up faster than desktops.

There could be a few different explanations; the Centrino CPU (P4-M) has a 1MB on-die L2 cache (whereas the desktop P4 usually only has 512KB L2 on-die cache, IIRC).

Also, desktops (IMO) have nortiously bad power management; it has always been more efficient on mobile PCs (notebooks, tablets, and pdas).