Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bunggle

Win XP Activation

Hi,

I'm currently using a laptop which is running Win 2K and has NEVER used Win XP. Nonetheless, it has an XP COA stuck to the bottom. Is there a way to find out if this COA has been used to activate XP? I have no idea if the PC was originally supplied with XP installed and activated before being deleted or if it has just been supplied with the COA.

Thanks.

The only real way to know is by contacting Microsoft directly.

Otherwise there is no harm in trying activating using the COA key, you'll soon know if there are any problems.

Originally posted by ross_aveling:

Quote:
The only real way to know is by contacting Microsoft directly.

Otherwise there is no harm in trying activating using the COA key, you'll soon know if there are any problems.

Yeah I thought about contacting Microsoft but I decided better of it. My company pays a huge amount for support from them so I guess the links are fairly close. I don't want to tell them the product key in case they contact my company to find out why I want to use it... Don't want to get fired for using the COA on my home computer when it's technically not mine (even if the laptop with it on is allocated directly to me).

Thanks though. I guess I'll just have to risk trying to install with it and see what happens!

MS Windows activation is garbage... I refuse to jump through Microsofts little hoops after purchasing their product. Download an XP key changer and use that to "activate" windows with a key you own.

How about some real answers for the OP?

First, legally-speaking, the OEM license from your laptop is tied to that hardware.

Second, assuming you have a true OEM Windows XP CD (not the CD that came with the laptop) and it's the same version (Home/Professional) as the OEM product key on the laptop's COA, then technically it would be accepted.

Every 120 days, the activation records are purged from Microsoft's database (supposedly). This means that if that product key was activated more than 120 days ago, it should activate automatically via the Internet, without the need to phone a rep.

Additionally, most major OEMs pre-activate XP installations by registering the GUID string in the BIOS, so that is why customized OEM XP CDs will not work on non-OEM hardware.

All that said, I advise you to purchase a legitimately-licensed operating system.