Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rbz01

Original Command & conquer ?????'s

Alright i have the original C&C and i was wondering how i get it to work on XP. Is there a patch i have to get to make it run or anything else. Any help would be appreciated.....

Have you tried to run it in Windows 95 or 98 compatibility mode?

The Dos version can be run in Dosbox with full network support.

The windows version can be run in XP but it requires a patch. This patch disables network capability. For network capability you will have to use the Windows version in Vmware/Microsoft Virtual PC.

I don't know if this will help you, but on my search for the solution I found this thread ---- and though I did not have the answer at the time, I do have it now.

READ THIS: http://www.planetcnc.com/features/techtroopers/classicsInXP/

DOWNLOAD THIS: http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?planetcnc/tiberiandawn/essentialfiles/ccgoldxppatch.zip

Wa la!! Good luck to you! :-)

The Cryptowizard

Die-hard C&C Fan

I have the original C&C Game, but during my divorce a year ago, my ex-wife decided to toss a lot of my old stuff out that I had saved for years. One of those things that got tossed out was the box, along with CD Key for my C&C Game. Does anyone know a way that I can get a CD Key from the company, or maybe rip it from the actual disc? My old computer is gone ... at the ex's house, and she formatted and lost all of my old stuff. If anyone can help, please, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

my cd case says Command & Conquer windows(little r in circle) 95, it had the guys face with glasses that have an explosion reflection on them... i get the error message....

C:\WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

....when i try and run the setup.exe or any other file what-so-ever. can anyone help me with this problem. I have tried everything i can, but can NOT get passed that error message. Running the demo will give me the error as well. please email me at jurk34@hotmail.com with the subject "C&C HELP" Otherwise it may be read at junk mail.. please help me, thank you.

to run cc 1st one on xp you have to goto the program icon right click run as then compatibly mode set as win 95 or win 98.it then will work for you.xp has all windows program in 1

Well i have another problem, i get a fault stating:

An (sic) privilaged instruction was executed at address 004dd5b4

Click OK to terminate the application

I have patched it, i have run it in compatibility mode from the properties tab, i have tried running it without protections, I have tried all kinds of things. I am beginning to wonder if a recent patch to XP has broken it. The other problem that i have been getting is that when i attempt to run the program, i end up with a blank screen and the game attempting to chew up more than 50% of my CPU whilst not displaying anything and reading from the hard disk continually. This goes on for 10 minutes and i generally give up, seein as how a blank screen aint that fascinating.

Does any one know if there would be much of a difference if i were to try running the game, using CD images through Daemontools?

I long for suggestions, any would be nice.

I'm guessing that you have a P4 processor with HyperThreading?

C&C is a 16bit program so when you execute it, it runs NTVDM (16bit emulator). NTVDM is probably what is chewing up all your processor time. Check "Task Manager" and search for the NTVDM process.

Can't really help much with those symptoms tho. If your running the Windows ver of C&C, I believe it uses DirectDraw/GDI so there isn't that much you can do except to disable DirectDraw acceleration in "DXDIAG" and see if that helps.

Nowadays I run the Windows ver of C&C in Qemu which runs the game nicely. I run the DOS ver in DosBox which works great as well.