Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hank619

Install win XP Pro over Win XP home

I am going to install win xp pro onto a pc that is running win xp home. At the same time, I want it to get rid of all the junk on my hard drive (format). Are there any precaution I need to take, or will the CD for win xp pro ask this during installation. Thanks.

Yes. Both the WinXPHome and WinXPProf CD have a feature to delete or create partitions.

In fact, the only good way to install Windows XP (and all other Windows versions between 95 and XP) is to install it on a perfectly clean partition.

You will need to go into your BIOS and set your boot priority to boot from CD-ROM first, put the CD in the CD-ROM and start your PC, at some point it should ask you to press ANY KEY to boot from CD... Do so. Then when its ready it'll ask you to press Enter to install WindowsXP and at some stage you'll have to press the F8 key to accept the license agreement. Then it should pick up your existing installation (sometimes) and ask you to press ENTER if you would like to repair or ESC if you want to install fresh, press ESC. It should show a screen with your partition(s), select the one you want to install XP on and press D do delete partition, when prompted press ENTER and then L to confirm, it should be on that screen with the partition(s) again, there you select the partition again and press ENTER, select your File system that you would like to format it and press ENTER, from there it should pretty much be on auto pilot.

Enjoy