Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Launching The Windows Find files/Folders manually? (This may also apply to XP)

Hi All,

I appologize if this is a repeated topic, but my searches on the forums where unfruitful. Also, I am not entirely certain where the best section would be for this topic. If it needs to be posted elsewhere would a mod kindly move it?

OK, here is what needs to be accomplished:

I need to manually create a shortcut that calls the Windows Find Files/Folders in Windows 2000. Obviously what windows does is it calls explorer.exe but passes enough information for it to automatically open the search pane on the left. Unfortunately, I need to manually add a shortcut to this in my ObjectDock, and the only way to do it right now is to launch explorer.exe and manually hitting F3 to show the search pane. How can I create a shortcut that directly calls the windows Find Files/Folders?

Thanx for taking the time to read this. I hope someone can help.

OK. I finally found a workaround. This workaround is courtesy of THIS site :up:

Please follow the following steps EXACTLY

1.) Create an empty file called ManualFind.fnd and save it in C:\WINNT (or C:\Windows depending on your version of windows and where you chose ot install Windows)

2.) Create A shortcut to "C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /C C:\WINNT\find.fnd" (of course change this to the path that meets your sysetm if necessary). Win9x/me users link to "C:\Windows\Command\command.exe /C C:\Windows\find.fnd"

3.) Use the shortcut. (NOTE: A command prompt window should flash, then disappear launching the Search/Find Files thingy for you!

4.) DONE