Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mpcasey

Linux on Dell Inspiron500m

I am moving away from Windows and have taken up the call on LINUX. Anyway I just installed Fedora Core 2 with the 2.6 kernal and have a few hiccups, Any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated

1. The onboard Modem will not work, it says that the device can not be used because of an error 2. The modem controller is visible in the hardware browser but no modem is seen under the network devices

2. It will not read off an external USB HardDrive, I cant figure out how to mount it, Disk Manager can see it when plugged in but I am unabale to access it

Michael Casey

Hi mpcasey and welcome! smile

I don't know specifically about your particular modem but I do know I've never had luck with Linux finding and or configuring any 56k modem in a laptop. Did you try and configure it with kppp? If, after configuring it on /dev/modem in kppp, it says it can't find it then you're SOL.

The good news is, you can pick up one of these for almost nothing!

On the external drive: Are you looking in /mnt to find it? Also, is it formatted with fat32 or NTFS? FC2 using the 2.6 kernel has great hardware detection, and should pick it up. What is the exact make and model of this unit?

I looked at the users manual for this system. Most likely it is a pctel softmodem, which is designed to work in Windows. The documentation is not very specific.

I agree with Dan. You may want to invest in a modem such as he recommended. Some have gotten thiese to work in Linux, but you have to compile a driver for it, or at the very least, recompile the kernel. The time you save getting a modem that will work correctly (not a softmodem or winmodem) will be worth the cost.

...suddenly, and without warning, danleff and Dapper Dan discover they are actually freshmen moderators...

laugh