Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LordVagabond

Radeon X800 XT PE with Fedora Core 2 x86-64

Hey all

I just recently tried to install FC2 64 on an old hard drive of mine so I could play around and see what it was like, and the first problem is that whenever an X-Windows area needs to be open, the install freezes and the screen goes blank (doesn't power off but stays black). I then tried to install with the "linux text" option and was able to install, but as soon as I try to log into FC2, it tries to jump into x-windows again and freezes.

Should I a) go with FC2 i386? B) beat my hard drive with a hammer or c) figure out how to fix this problem?

I am relatively new to Linux, but do have some experience

Cheers

LV

You forgot d) Install Fedora Core 3 (test 3) which has a newer X.org release with better Radeon drivers smile

Core 3 (non test version) will be out soon.

We get more inquiries about how to get ATI cards working than any other I believe. It has been my experience that ATI, although they make great hardware for Windows, is far less Linux friendly than Nvidia.

Are you getting any error messages at all? Anything about not finding a screen? What is the make and model of your monitor?

At any point, are you getting a command prompt? If so, become root by going:

su [enter]

Then it will ask for password. Enter that and press enter. Then go:

system-config-display [enter]

Look for and choose your video card and monitor in the lists provided.

Let us know...

Just to check, you do have either a

AMD64 processors (Athlon64 or Opteron)

or

Intel processors with Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel® EM64T)

and at least 128 mb of ram in the system?

Here's my system:

-Proc: Athlon64 3200+ NewCastle 512kb L2

-Mobo: Asus K8V-SE Deluxe

-Mem: 512MB DDR400 PC3200

-Video: HIS Excalibur IceQII ATI Radeon X800 XT PE 256 VIVO (X800 Pro softmodded to an XT PE)

-HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 9 160 GB SATA

-Monitor: Samsung 955DF

What happens:

When I try to install Core 2, and select "graphical install" the screen goes black after loading up the LiLo, where it would normally go into XWin.

I then installed using text only mode, and it installed, but as soon as I got past the LiLo, again where it would go to XWin, the screen went black and all hard drive activity ceased.

Would Core 2 non-64 (ie i386) work with ATI products?

it would help if there was an option to load Core 2 without having to go into X-Windows, so I could SU and do what was suggested above (selecting monitor and video from a list like that)

I have installed Fedora Core 2 x86-64 also.

Are you sure it is an X problem?

I use an ATI 9800Pro no probs just no ATI driver available :-(using the build in

My problem was that thew Fedora Core 2 install messed up the partition tables.

Take a look here: http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/

maybe it helps you