Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
3mice

Re: Win2000 networking error or is it a serious bug!!

Hi everyone,

Need your help here.

Basically, We run win 2000 on all our machines(eight) in the office. everything has been running on smoothly without any networking changes being made when some time last week this issue cropped up.

Each machine has been given assigned its own ip manually. Now, when you try to access another machine on the network eg "MACHINEA" you get the error message

"\\MACHINEA is not accessible. The network name cannot be found"

Thinking the problem might be with the networking cables, i ping the ip address of MACHINE-A plus all the other machines and the packets of data are recieved indicating the machine are on the network!

Next i click on the networking icon on the desktop and choose "Computers Near Me" ( All the machines are on the same workgroup, "Africa" ). I get the error message

"Africa is not accessible. The server is not configured for transactions"

All the machines under our workgroup " Africa" have been assigned ips in the following range

======

IP Address: 192.168.100.* - where * is a manually assigned number for each machine

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Getaway 192.168.100.1

======

note: We are able to browse the internet from any machine which is connected through the LAN

All the machines are connected through a central switch

Could this be a bug with win2000 or is it a virus. I've installed the latest Service Pack (4) from the microsoft website.

I've also run all the known antiviruses (McAffe, Norton, AVG) but no virus has been found. i've even updated all the virus definations but still no results.

Someone asked me to check the hosts file found at C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\etc and this was the only uncommented entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Any help on this from you people. This is really confusing and frustrating!!!!

Regards

3Mice

Hi there,

I'm having the exact same problem as 3mice but the advice from AlecStar does not resolve my problem, nor mugatu's MS KB link...

I'm running a 500+ client network, and this is at least my 3rd computer acting this way out-of-the-blue.

I reinstalled the other two, and my quess is that this is somekind of spy-/malware, possibly a virus, but non of the tools I've tried detect anything.

I'm running up-to-date Trend OfficeScan which didn't detect anything, I tried both Spybot and Adware SE, nothing...

Hope for a quick respons,

Regards, Bragi

Are you guys using WINS? Verify that WINS IP's are correct in eac computers configuration. If so then check the "Computer Browser" service and verify that it's Automatic and started. If still having the same problems then go to your WINS server and delete the computers from the WINS database. Now reboot both computers, may also have to restart the computer browser service again.

It looks like we have a similar problem here. We have 4 servers operating as domain, print, file and application. Recently 1 of the servers (application) gave us the messsage "Server not accessible. The server is not configured for transactions."

The situation is, however, even more bizarre than this:

- We get this message when trying to access this server directly through My network places from any computer on the domain.

- The applications that are already accessing data from this server are not impaired in any way. There appears to be a path already established to the data that is not effected

- Where we have a mapped drive or shortcut to a folder on the server this is not effected either. Hence most computers can get access to the server in some way or other.

Consequently we only noticed the problem when trying to reestablish an application link when broken.

I had it suggested that we use the following:

- Use netshare command to check that IPC$ was in share list. It was not

- Added using "net share ipc$". Share appeared.

This may be a coincidence but it appears that I gained access very briefly to the drive using this process. This allowed me to establish a mapping on one computer. The share disappeared again almost immediately.

Has anyone any other suggestions as to what might be going on here?

Thanks

David Begg

From the Microsoft site:

Error Message:

The server is not configured for transactions.

Explanation:

The specified server is not configured to accept the command you typed.

User Action:

Ask your network administrator if the server is configured properly. The administrator may choose to share the server's IPC$ resource to correct this problem.

If the Auto Updates Have been performed or .Net Framework has been loaded or permisions have been altered the IPC$ share permissions on the Server or each Machine in a Wrokgroup may have been altered.

Hope this helps.

I'm new to posting here, but have been lurking as a guest for a while... I'm actually having this problem in an 8 computer workgroup setting with 1 server all running Windows 2000. I am self-employed and have several companies with similar setups. The server started just out of the blue today giving this error message. The business has a POS program running on the server and it doesn't seem to interfere there, but shared printer access is no longer working. That's how the problem really cropped up. Then all of a sudden another computer started getting Norton popups about W32.spybot and it keeps popping up even though it says it's deleting the file each time. taking systems all offline before business hours tomorrow and running full virus and spyware scans. We have a firewall/router on the internet connection, so it didn't come in that way. I think a guy (disgruntled employee) may have put a virus on one of the systems and it spread to server.

But this is definitely virus activity as evidenced by the sudden nature of this change on the systems.

new addition:

Here's a link to a thread on another forum that had same problem and it was a virus named Gaobot.CHZ.Worm by Panda.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1107194872