Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Temporary Internet Files Folder - Understanding It

The temporary internet files folder really pisses me off, how does it work?

I moved the folder from its default location and on to my spare drive, so its D:\Temporary Internet Files. When I clean the folder out using Internet Options, it works fine, but when I check it in Explorer, the cookies are still there which is fine since I didn't click delete cookies and there are no other files showing. But when I right click the folder it says 12 megs are being used and I have show hidden files on and show protected OS files on as well. So what is going on there?

I am asking since Norton caught a virus but couldn't delete it since it was in the Temporary Internet Files folder, under a long path name, I can't seem to dig it out myself either, unless I type it in a command prompt or something.

I was able to trace down the RAMSURF author the other day (the only way I could download the app) and installed it on my box.

Like the ramdrive app I installed a few weeks ago, I liked it at first but opted to uninstall it after a few days (I really wish I could remember the exact reason why, but it's been one of those weekends!).

Anyway, the jest of the problem (and I have no reason to suggest that RAMSURF has anything to do with this): I must have deleted one to many files because now I have no TIF directory (that is to say, I can't set one either!). It sounds great but, yes, some apps, apparently all downloads, and who knows what else, require a TIF directory, where ever it is set at.

So now I can't put it back to it's default location (or any other one for that matter). When I try to from Tools\Options\Settings\Move Folder, I get the error box saying:

"There won't be enough space in the new location for the currently downloaded content. Please either delete these files first and try again, reduce the size of the folder, or try a new location".

This is:

after clearing the cache,

after a fresh reboot,

after uninstalling/re-installing IE,

after installing XP SP2

(too slow for me, was just hoping it would fix my TIF dilemma) then uninstalling SP2,

after going into Safe mode and finally,

after logging in as Administrator in Safe Mode, and finally,

after trying a different location

(did I leave anything out? lol).

The one encouraging thing I did see was that the admin acct still had the default setting in place (made sense after the initial euphoria) and that made me realize that I apparently corrupted something in my user account. I assume I could just create another user account which hopefully would have the TIF folder at it's default location but is that the easiest way to fix this? (never messed with profiles, user accounts, etc.) Lord knows, I already know the hard way!

If I do have to creat a new user account, please tell me how that effects the apps, programs, etc. I have running now under the "corrupted profile/acct. i.e., do I need to setup a new Start folder etc.? If so, I guess I could just move what I have to that new folder, right?

I am running XP SP1 home Edition. Thanks for your help.

Ditch IE for firefox smile

Seriously though, APK, how do you know all these registry keys? You seem to have a registry hack for everything.

I have 2 entries under that .tif key right now... are you suggesting I add your entry to make it a third entry? What kind, DWORD, etc?

Also, please check out my latest thread: What to do before your system crashes. http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread29544-1.html

I would really like some help on this one to avoid any problems in the future.

Thanks.

I'm trying to find out where in the registry the settings are for the cache-size of IE and of the number of days 'history' it has to keep.

Anyone?

Try starting from here:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"

You might consider using CacheSentry. It is free. It repairs improperly written cache entries and from it you can control the amount of space you alot to IE's browser. It will do all of the hard work in the background. It will also work with the index that tracks the numerous files. This is a much less radical solution than editing the registry.

But browsing through the regristry is so much more fun, then using a "program" that does it for you.

Hey, guys, thanks for the attributions.

First of all: I want to know where I can set this size in the registry so I can put is as an export it in the mapping.bat when one of my 100 colleagues signs in on our network.

So a software-solution like CacheSentry isn't what I'm looking for, though it seemed like a nifty little program when I checked it out.

I checked the registry before I entered this question on this forum and I bumped on this one:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path1]

"CacheLimit"=dword:00006400

Same voor path2, path3 and path4 under that paths-key.

I'd say: no problemo! But when I enter these settings in a p.c. it says the entry is succeeded but when I check still the old settings are valid.

So:

1) is it the right key I'm using?

2) why doesn't it import properly?

Thanks again!

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths"

There is value named "Size".

And for URL history:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Url History"

There are values named:

"CacheLimit" and "DaysToKeep"

PERHAPS you need to change those?

Quote:

why doesn't it import properly?

How do you import it?

By "regedit regfile.reg"?

Thanks, Wilhelmus

1)

I'm sorry, but when I change the value of the cache in IE it does not change in the key you suggest; it does in the four keys I stated. That's why I don't understand that when I export these keys I don't get them imported - not even in my own machine.

Any other suggestion?

2)

Yeah, I use the regedit /s %regname%.reg option.

Funny thing is that with some users it does work and with some not when called from the mapping.bat.

For the users where it doesn't work that way it's even more strange that when I manually start the particular regedit option it does work.

Any clue?