Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
paultazzyman

Fedora C2 cdrecord

Hi !!

I am trying to do a backup to a Samsung cd R/W.

On RH9 "cdrecord - dev 0,0,0 etc worked fine.

Using cdrecord -scanbus tells me that the Samsung is scsibus0 0,1,0 - but the syntax seems to upset the Fedora cdrecord command and it says it can't find a driver.

Anyone got a sample command line for cdrecord I could try - I seem to have exhausted the combinations.

Thanks.

It seems from reading other forums that the cdrecord in Fedora is a little broken in that the links to the devices aren't set up correctly during install.

I can read a data CD OK and the device cdrom mounts and unmounts OK , but cdrecord always complains about an "unsupported device" - which doesn't sound right for a fairly popular Samsung device.

It seems that the command line parameter syntax has changed (?????)

HELP !!

Small advice; when you want help, please explain the problem properly. That means including the exact command you are using and the full error message.

Cdrecord in Fedora 2 works just fine, it's not broken. The manual page should tell you the correct syntax. "man cdrecord"

You now have made three posts, and still I see no explanation of what exactly the problem is. So how can i possibly help you without knowing what's wrong?

Four useless posts. If you want any help (from me) you'll have to supply some information.

I'm confused too. You say cdrecord 0,0,0 works fine but when you scan the bus it reports 0,1,0?

Does it work with a burning app such as k3b or nautilus burn? In the man page of cdrecord you should see an option for verbose (-v -V maybe??)that output could be helpfull.

Previously on RH9 ( and still on my laptop ):-

cdrecord -dev 0,1,0 file" worked fine. On my new machine it returned errors about "can't load SCSI driver" etc.

Looking at other forums there were lots of items about problems with cdrecord and one site ( among the thousands ) indicated that the syntax had changed between RH9 and FC2 - I'm not sure whether this is true but from my perspective it seems to be right.

One article indicated that "cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc file" would work and in fact it did.

My question was aimed at determining whether there was any knowledge about the changes to the command syntax.

What I am sure of is that the first syntax works on my RH9 machine and not on FC2, but the second does. The test now is whether the second command will also work on RH9. I'll try this some other 60 seconds !!

so your question is the version of cdrecord on fc2 differnt then that of rh9 and if so is the usage syntax differnt? If that's it I can't answer that one. I've never used Redhat or fedora. I know that cdrecord can behave differntly across distros and kernels but it's unlikly that the syntax changed.

The syntax didn't change, but the device handling in the kernel did. 2.6 has support for IDE writers without SCSI-emulation. Newer versions of cdrecord supports this, that's why you can use dev=/dev/hdc instead of dev=0,0,0. It won't work in Redhat9.

I suspect that the FC2 cdrecord is not backwards compatible ( in terms of syntax ) with the RH9. The "-dev 0,0,0" syntax doesn't seem to work on FC2.

try this cdrecord dev=help or cdrecord dev=version. I'm on a hpux workstation so I can't test the commands. That should let you know any potential issues with your version of cdrecord, kernel, and drive. Trondare is exactly right about the kernel versions too.