Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hardwarecrazy

Which product to diagnose disk drive issues in W2KServer?

I need to use something like Norton's Utility to disagnose some drive issues that I am facing with a system running W2K Server. I see that Norton System Works cannot run W2KS but only W2KProfessional.

1. Is there any possibility of installing and running Norton System Works (latest versions) on a W2KS?

2. Is there any other product, preferably freeware, that I can use to disagnose disk drives?

Thanks for your time.

Thank you, AlecStarr for your reply. Yes, I am aware of and have used both the above recommendations. However, reverting back to my original two questions, do you have any specific answers? Is there anyway to make applications think that the OS is W2KPro rather than W2KS so that they won't quit the install process?

Thank you.

Since it's the installer that checks, you could de-compile the .msi and use ORCA to repackage it.

However, doing so is likely in violation of the EULA/license. Additionally, personally I would never want any "system utilities" installed on a production server.

If you suspect hardware problems with the drive, check your system event log, and if necessary, check for a utility by the drive manufacturer and enable SMART reporting in the system BIOS.