Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

Removing A Kernel

i just installed fc2 and right away upgraded the kernel to a 2.6.9 ck2 and 2.6.9 both customized anyhow how would i go about getting rid of the old one, do i just delete the folder in usr/src

thanks in advance

I'm back after a lot of personal crap including closing on a house, ,work stuff, and other things. I'll be poping in and out while my wife puts me to work on the new home. smile

any way in debian I always remove the stuff in /usr/src/ /lib/modules/2.6.old.kernel. Better yet as root do a find on teh old kernel name and direct the out put to a file.

find / -name "*2.6.old*" > ~soulnothing/kernelfind.out

Then just check that file for any instance of teh old kernel.

Do you have symantic? If so just find the old kernel in the list, and mark it for uninstallation. It's much easier this way and works perfect!

Yes, true, this works well, I think if the kernel image is all that is installed. I agree with Dapper Dan, Synaptic is the way to go. He can give you specifics on fedora and synaptic installation and use.

But, I would keep it around, just in case something goes amis with the new kernel, as a backup to get into the system. You can change the order that the most recent kernel comes up easily with either Grub or Lilo, which ever boot manager that you are using, if this is a concern or preference.