Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epock

Making a Boot Disk

Ok, first off, I've been searching around, both in this forum and in others, and have yet to find an actual set of instructions to help me with my problem. So, if I missed a topic or thread somewhere, I apologize, but I have tried looking and just can't find what I'm looking for. So now, on to the fun part.

I am running Windows 2000, and I need to create a boot disk in order to flash the Adaptec SCSI RAID card that I have in this computer. But the program Adaptec uses to flash their cards is picky. First of all, I can't have any "DOS Extenders" in memory, which means I can't have emm386.sys or dos4gw running when I attempt to flash the card (himem.sys is ok though). Next I am required to have the flash program and a binary libray on my boot disk. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that with those two files on the disk, I'm left with roughly 600K to copy what i need for a boot disk. So, with that in consideration, please explain to me how to create a boot disk that meets these requirements. My deepest thanks in advance.

Well thats my first and biggest problem. I live in a very remote and small community. We have 18 people who live here, only one other family has a computer, and it is running Windows XP. I have no way to access a computer with a DOS based opperating system except to travel 280 miles to my grandparents, and even then, they just have windows 98 on a CD. To complicate matters, all the computers we own have important business/personal data on them and can not be reformatted to install Windows 9x. So I need to find out how to create a boot disk manualy from Windows 2000 if thats possible. If that isn't possible, can one be made directly from a Windows 98 CD without installing the OS? Sorry I didn't mention that in the post above...welcome to my little corner of hell. :x

You can create a simple Boot disk from within Windows 2000/XP via My Computer, right click Floppy A: 3.5" and select Format and the option to 'Create an MS-DOS startup disk' which is what you require.