Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dapperdan & danleff rock!

Microsoft optical mouse problems

You forgot to mention if it is plugged into usb or ps/2 and Linux/version you are running because I have an optical/Microslop mouse and the wheel worked fine in Redhat 9.0, Mandrake 10.0 and Suse Personal 9.1 (I can't remember if it worked during the Knoppix 'live' cd session, sorry). Let's not forget, sometimes you have to 'click' down on the wheel so the OS knows you wanna scroll where you clicked.

Oops! Forgot to mention, in some Linux distros, you have to find the mouse settings and let it know the mouse has a wheel.

That sounds more like a browser glitch. As for the .sh files, I am still pretty 'green' about that kind of stuff. Hardware is more my thing (for now). Open some long office document, etc. and see if the wheel works fine. If it does, then the browser is flakey.

Most recent distros have no problem with these mice, I have a Logtech optical and it works fine.

What distro and version are you using?

i am using Yoper (yos) 2.1.0-4.With the following. KDE 3.3, kernel 2.6.8.?, AND I'm not sure on the rest... maybe u can check out yoper.com. my girlfriend is wanting me to go to bed. but thats all i know, ANY help would be nice.

Below is a copy off the site of some of the tools thats yoper comes with. If that might help. i didnt have time to look all over there wierd site to find exact kernel and stuff. Thank you. bye!

What are the best features of Linux that are part of Yoper?

A. Thanks to the contributions of other Linux developers and vendors to open source software we have been able to integrate these great features into our OS:

The base system is built from scratch.

Packagetools come from Slackware (installpkg, removepkg).

Raidtools from Red Hat.

Kudzu Hardware recognition from Red Hat.

Startup scripts from Red Hat.

Mozilla from Netscape Ltd.

OpenOffice from Sun.

Hwsetup from Knoppix.

Sax2, Yast2 from SuSE

KDE 3.3.

Apt tools from Debian.

Synaptic from Connectiva.

no luck. not i can even start sax... have i downloaded a virus? frown

I had a problem like this when i tryed to get my vega strike game going too......

cody@yos ~ $ sax2

SaX: root Password:

SaX: initializing please wait...

Can't locate Env.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/modules /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/modules/CheckServer.pm line 15.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/modules/CheckServer.pm line 15.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/init.pl line 17.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/init.pl line 17.

opps thats the wrong error message. i accendently copyed the wrong one. i deleted line 13 to see if that helped and it didnt. so i put it back.

cody@yos ~ $ sax2

SaX: root Password:

SaX: initializing please wait...

Can't locate Env.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/modules /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/init.pl line 13.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/init.pl line 13.

cody@yos ~ $

This one is quit a bit longer. but this is what i get on my game one..

root@yos cody # ./linux_vegastrike-0.4.2.sh

Welcome to Vega Strike Setup for CVS Version vegastrike_0_4_2

cvs checkout: warning: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such file ocvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed/bcc55cvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed/msvc6cvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed/msvc7cvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed/no_ctcvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed/no_ttcvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/list/aux_/preprocessed/cvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/vector/aux_/preprocessecvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/vector/aux_/preprocessecvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/vector/aux_/preprocessecvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/mpl/vector/aux_/preprocessecvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/arithmetic/detcvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/control/detailcvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/control/detailcvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/iteration/detacvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/iteration/detacvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/iteration/detacvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/list/detail/edcvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/repetition/detcvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/repetition/detcvs checkout: Up[censored] vegastrike/src/boost129/boost/preprocessor/repetition/detcvs checkout: warning: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such file ocvs checkout: Up[censored] data4.x/history/factions/League of Independent Human Worlcvs checkout: Up[censored] data4.x/units/factions/upgrades/add_sublimative_hull_coatcvs checkout: Up[censored] data4.x/units/factions/upgrades/experimental_CloakingDevicvs checkout: Up[censored] data4.x/units/factions/upgrades/image_recognition_3pack_acvs checkout: Up[censored] data4.x/units/factions/upgrades/mult_inertial_compensatorcvs checkout: Up[censored] data4.x/units/subunits/turret_capship_dreadnaughtblend_gucvs checkout: Up[censored] data4.x/units/subunits/turret_capship_layered_defense_guncvs checkout: Up[censored] data4.x/units/subunits/turret_capship_light_particlebeamgcvs checkout: warning: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such file ocvs checkout: Up[censored] vssetup/src/include/dont_link

ln: `data4.x': hard link not allowed for directory

./linux_vegastrike-0.4.2.sh: line 46: cd: /home/cody/vegastrike/data: No such ficvs checkout: warning: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such file ocvs checkout: Up[censored] music

Downloading data Done

Creating installer...

Creating installer Done

Configuring vegastrike...

Can't locate Errno.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/automake-1.9 /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/share/automake-1.9/Automake/XFile.pm line 90.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/automake-1.9/Automake/XFile.pm line 90.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/aclocal line 40.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/aclocal line 40.

Can't locate File/stat.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/autoconf /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 36.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 36.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/autom4te line 42.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/autom4te line 42.

Can't locate File/stat.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/autoconf /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 36.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 36.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/autoheader line 45.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/autoheader line 45.

Can't locate Errno.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/automake-1.9 /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/share/automake-1.9/Automake/XFile.pm line 90.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/automake-1.9/Automake/XFile.pm line 90.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/automake line 129.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/automake line 129.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/automake line 129.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/automake line 129.

./linux_vegastrike-0.4.2.sh: line 86: ./configure: No such file or directory

Error running ./configure

root@yos cody #

As the directions note;

Quote:
Go to Yoperconf

select sax2 display setup

go to input devices

select mouse, and go the third tab and click enable mouse wheel

So, go to the control panel (Yoperconf) and try the directions from there.

Were you trying to run sax2 from the command line, or from the icon on the desktop. That was what I was trying to get at. I don't have Yoper on my system now, so I can't remember if sax2 pops up a terminal window or not. If it did, apparently the message was helpful.

What I do remember is that Yoper was finicky about running as root user (yoper) vs. an added user.

Perhaps you can post what the fix was, so that others could benefit fromwhat worked for you.

But I'm glad that you figured it out on your own!

You may want to post Yoper based questions on their forum, which is where my link guided you to. The forums are pretty active and have a lot of solutions and bugs/fixes posted.

Wheel mouse configuring :-)

As root, open your XF86Config file ( probably /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ).

Trundle down to Section "Input Device" where it mentions the mouse.

Compare it with this -

Section "InputDevice"

Driver "mouse"

Identifier "Mouse[1]"

Option "Buttons" "5"

Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

Option "Name" "Autodetection"

Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2"

Option "Vendor" "Sysp"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Thats what mine claims - and the mouse works OK :-)

I was going to simply say the ZAxis line - but I thought this may be more useful :-)

If yours is different - especially in the ZAxis line, then try those settings :-)

Originally posted by dapperdan & danleff rock!:

Quote:

Wheel mouse configuring :-)

As root, open your XF86Config file ( probably /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ).

Trundle down to Section "Input Device" where it mentions the mouse.

Compare it with this -

Section "InputDevice"

Driver "mouse"

Identifier "Mouse[1]"

Option "Buttons" "5"

Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

Option "Name" "Autodetection"

Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2"

Option "Vendor" "Sysp"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Thats what mine claims - and the mouse works OK :-)

I was going to simply say the ZAxis line - but I thought this may be more useful :-)

If yours is different - especially in the ZAxis line, then try those settings :-)

This works perfectly with my Microsoft Standard Optical Mouse which I got with the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 Under OpenSuse 10.1 running X.org (the configuration file is differnent of course: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" :3

Thanks!

bunnydowell, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, this thread is over 1 1/2 years old, so the origional poster will probably not see it. Hopefully others will.

Always note the dates attached to threads that you respond to to make sure that they are current and still active.