Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

Windows Terminal Server with Linux rdesktop RDP Client

Has anyone used this, either in a test lab, or production use? I am thinking about trying this in a small test environment, since it would greatly ease Windows desktops to Linux desktops.

I'm also curious about licensing implications, since with a Windows Professional (2000/XP) OS, I believe that half of a CAL is included with the OS license, at least for use with a Terminal Server.

Assuming Linux is deployed, with rdesktop being used to connect to a 2000/2003 Terminal Server, would anything other than user/device CALs be required?

Thanks... smile

Remotedesktop (www.remotedesktop.org) is a beautiful thing. smile However, there was an older implementation that couldn't deal with the default behaviors of TS or encryption on that site. When I started using Gentoo, the ebuild for it there worked perfectly fine. I am assuming that the build on the site and available in most distros is updated and shouldn't have any issues.

As for licensing, I am under the impression that if using Admin mode, client licensing is not an issue. However, when in application mode you will need a licensing server. The big change from Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 was that Windows 2000 and XP clients no longer have "built-in" cals, and you will have to buy them separately. Since it's possible to connect using NT4 and 9x clients with the web-based ActiveX control, I would assume that using application mode licensing would permit Linux clients to be used in place of/addition to Windows boxes that are not 2000/XP.

Thanks clutch, I think I'll install Terminal Services on one of the test servers, and boot from a Linux live CD that has rdesktop and give it a shot.

Cool, and make sure to set your TS encryption levels as you'll have them in production during your evaluation.