Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Browser complaints!

I've used Epiphany, Mozilla, Konqueror, Galeon, Firefox, Opera, Phoenix, Firebird, Lynx, Links, Links-Graphics and a few others I can't remember right now.

I've been using Firefox for several months, and it is the perfect browser in so many ways for me except one: It often crashes and disappears when I'm trying to post.

Last night I spent a good deal of time creating this post with links and all, and when I went to post, it vanished right before my eyes. I had to start all over again...

For the time being, I've decided to go back to my old standby Galeon, which also offers tabbed browsing and, in my estimation, is every bit as quick as Firefox. This disappearing act with Firefox while posting has also happened with me under Fedora Core 1 and 2, Morphix-Gnome 4.1 and Suse 9.1 professional.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Now that you mention it, yes, I had the same thing happen posting on this forum. It would be interesting to know what the problem is. I'll have to find out which distro it was and try it again.

I had the same diffuculty posting on some sites (not this one) with firefox versions .8 and .9, but the issue has not returned since I updated to 1.0 PR. Its possible that whatever the problem was has been resolved. The problem also occured in the windows version of firefox and back in my windows days internet explorer used to do so as well, but less gracefully - when it crashed it usually took the whole computer with it. Try Firefox 1.0 PR - its been great for me - plus the installer works well.

I updated to 1.0 PR and you're right, the installer works flawlessly and overall it performed well. The only problem was, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get it to configure RealPlayer to save my life. I hate RealPlayer as much as anyone, but since I don't watch television, I visit Foxnews.com a lot and often want to see the videos there, and RealPlayer is all that works.

Speaking of RealPlayer, STAY AWAY FROM RP 10 for LINUX! They are up to there old Windows tricks of highjacking everything on your computer without your apparant knowledge! I installed it, and it highjacked every MP3 on my computer! frown

@Dapper Dan & OldSpiceAP & danleff

I have been having the same problem you initially spoke of. I am running 1.0 PR. Sometimes it seems when I hit a button (maybe a form method thing) firefox completely closes!

You have had good luck thus far with FireFox PR 1.0?

I wonder if zapping ~/.mozilla would be a cure? Saving bookmarks and all of course...but could it be an issue? I will have to try later when I am at my workstation.

Have any of you had a problem with FireFox at startup? ie: not being quick, or starting to load, then stops altogether. I wonder if I dig deep into the pref's if there is a preload option.

I'm not sure I can remember a time when Firefox didn't give me this problem. I'm afraid I didn't run 1.0 PR long enough to know if it acted in the same way as I immediately went back to the version from Yast.

While running Fedora Core one I ran Firefox without Mozilla installed, but retained ~/.mozilla so that Firefox could load java, flash, and realplayer plugins from there.

What you suggest may be worth a try. It usually dies on me when I'm either making a post or going to a new web page. It seems to do it most often when I go to pages containing java or flash.

So far, I've been pretty happy with Galeon though.

i have to say im running .93 right now and the thing is constantly crashing or just hanging, i switched to 1.0pr and was up for 12 hours in the saw window (long night, and way too much coffee) no problems the only thing for me is i dont how to integrate firefox 1.0 into the menu so i think once 1.0 everything should be fine

Quote:
What you suggest may be worth a try. It usually dies on me when I'm either making a post or going to a new web page. It seems to do it most often when I go to pages containing java or flash.

The "new pages" part clicked when I read it. That has been happening to me as well.

I tried wasting the ~/.mozilla and so far it seems ok - but time will tell.

I swear, Firefox just hates me!

I'm back to using Mozilla again! Not only does Firefox just suddenly crash and disappear without warning, it also will often not let me paste what I copy or copy what I've pasted! If you regularly post on forums, you know what a pain it is not to be able to count on cut and paste! ;(

Heya Dapper Dan

This is really odd. Firefox is one of the very few apps that never bothered me with crashes, no matter under what Linux or Windows flavor I had it running. I really wonder what's going on on your box.

Maybe you want to try to run firefox through the debugger. So in case you have "gdb" installed, open a shell and change to your firefox directory (e.g. "/usr/local/firefox-1.0/"). Once there launch that command ...

Code:
./run-mozilla.sh -g ./firefox-bin -d gdb

(EDITED - forgot the main part: to launch the app smile

You should end up within the dbg-shell and be greeted by a friendly (gdb)-prompt. Just type "run" here to start firefox.

Don't be alarmed about a possible million of warnings and notes that you will get when gdb launches the app. Those are normal and most of them deal with telling you that no debugging symbols have been found and that some GTK/GNOME permissions are wrong (another reason why I don't like GNOME; and on a sidenote: what the smeg is "orbit"? smile

Now do what always makes the application crash. gdb should catch the error and at least provide some info as to WHERE (what lib) it occured and WHAT occured.

Hope that helps (keep us updated)

It must be dumb luck in my case. I have run Firefox 0.8, 0.9, 1.0PR and now the released 1.0 and have never had a problem...not posting here or any other problem. It has run flawlessly. Same on my wife's Windows machine.

I had that problem a couple months ago.Ran into a Red Hat nerd

at the local mall.He told me some versions of Mozilla and Firefox have a problem with Kinternet "idle time out".I just set it to 0 (disabled)

Haven't had the problem since.Don't know if it will work for you but it worked for me.I only tried it with Firefox.

It's baaaack!!!

The same problem I described earlier in this thread has re-occured in exactly the same manner under Slack 10. I'm running version 1.0.

I've never experienced any such problems with Firefox. Been using it all the way from 8.0 to 1.0. Best browser around.

I had these problems with Phoenix in .4 and .5, but I can't remember it being an issue since then in Linux. I have been using it since .5 in Windows and it was never a problem there. I remember Mozilla would crash out X server when I went to the nVidia site and ran the mouse of a menu. It seemed to be a combination of Mozilla, X, and my nVidia module. When a new version of Mozilla came out, I tried it and it was fine. Anything sound familiar?

You know, now that you guys mentioned. It has happened to me where I'll just open firefox and just type up a letter and it'll completely dissappear out of my sight. I open it up, go into hotmail, and type the letter E on my keyboard and I would just disappear. I thought that maybe M$ had implemented something into their website so firefox would crash. Funny thing is that I can't replicated today but I did many times yesterday. I'm using knoppix 3.7.

Originally posted by clutch:

Quote:
Anything sound familiar?

Well, I am using Nvidia. It's a Gforce MX4000 Plus 128 MB AGP. When I was having the problems before I was using a Geforce4 Ti 4200 SE 128 MB AGP...