Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
barka

Can't Install Windows 64bit Version

Hi, I recently bought a new motherboard(elitegroup 775-A),cpu(amd 64bit 3000+) and 512ddr333 ram. Problem is...installing the 64bit version of xp.

I downloaded the beta version from microsoft.

But I did not have any blank cd-r's and there for, nero would not let me burn the image file to a dvd-r.

So I unpacked the files inside the image file, and burned them to a dvd disk.

I reboot pc and it finds the disk, it installs some drivers then hangs at A:\ when i try and execute the setup.exe file it says this file cannot be ran in dos mode!

I don't know what im doing wrong!

Does the image file NEED to be burned to cd-r and not dvd?

If this is not the case what burning software will solve my problem as nero wont work, I'v tryed everything and am running low on blank dvd's:P

Can anyone help me with this problem....

Thanx in advance:)

To run 2000/xp setup from a command prompt you have to navigate to the i386 directory and run "winnt32" or, maybe "winnt64" in your case. I know that's how you do it in 2k and pretty sure it's the same in xp. >>I use roxio 5 platinum and I've seen the option to create a boot cd. I believe the program "isobuster" makes a boot image also. You can also just save the installation files onto a partition on your HD and use a dos boot disk to run the install. In that case you would use command "winnt".

thanx mate for quick reply.

I'll try it out now and report back soon...wish me luck wink

well i tryed your ideas, none of wich worked :S.

I have the files extracted on my hard drive as u mentioned, so i decided to try and install from hd, rebooted with boot disk, went to dir where the winnt32 file u mentioned was, but it cannot be ran in dos mode, same as the setup file! i made a boot disk (i think A:\ format>Creat ms-dos start up disk?) but with this i cannot access my dvd drive. so i also tryed one of the copys i made, because its ment to have the boot fils on their. i can access all drives with the disk but still cant open either setup file or winnt32 file! whats it take to install this darn thing:P lol

any other ideas would be much welcome

thanx agein

Are you using Nero 6 burning rom? You can DL the free trial, burn your image to dvd(it burns dvd's), then try the install. From a dos prompt/command prompt winnt32 won't work. You must run winnt(or winnt16, I don't remember, but I think it's winnt).

winnt32 will only work within a 32bit os. do a "dir" on the i386 folder from on you hd and make sure the file is there. If it is there, it should work. I haven't used the amd64's yet, wonder how they are. good luck man.

well i tryed yet agein. their is deffinately no winnt or winnt16 files on the disk at all, only the winnt32 in the amd64 folder not the i386 folder. i have the latest version of nero, but when i choose burn image to disk and choose the file it requests it to be copyed to cd-r and wont let me burn it to dvd, hence the reason i unpacked it to harddrive then burnt the files to disk. im not sure if its the boot disk thats in the 64bit iso file from MS, thats not working properly, but i can see all my drives ext, just cant run the install file for gettin "cant run in dos mode" for everything i try!

is their anyone out their who've installed this 64bit version of xp and give me some pointers to what im doing wrong...do i have the wrong boot disk utlilites? as i dont get the normal "boot from cd-rom" like other boot disks iv used!

i'v allso read about having to download special drivers for the boot disk to work my components properly during install, but only seen this about SATA hd's, im using my old

IDE 40gig Maxtor.

amd 3000+ 64x

512ddr 333

Elitegroup 755-A motherboard

and GF4000 128mb gfx

Samsung sh-w08a

Hey, my answer isn't goign to "solve" your problem, but I have a similar case. I have a Corporate Edition of Windows XP Professional that I use to install XP Pro on my computers. I'm not entirely sure if it's the nature of the Corporate edition or if it's something about a corrupt iso that i made at some point (i make copies because i reinstall so often the cd's get pretty worn out), but I cannot boot from the disk, for the setup cannot run in DOS. Now, I'm relatively certain that there is no way to fix this, that it merely will not run in DOS. So my corporate Edition has the capability to do a fresh install....OR upgrade. I'm bettign you a million dollars that your version of Windows 64bit is just like this type of XP that I have, which is that it can do fresh install or upgrade, but only in a windows environment. Thee is no way to remedy that and boot from disk, even if you get it burned. I personally just use my really old Dell OEM version of XP Home as a starting platform, then upgrade to Pro before I have to activate Home. All that is needed is for there to be a windows environement and current insatllation of windows to either upfgrade, or install to a different disk.

Wow, that got a lot more long winded than I wanted, but I'm just going to go on for a little bit more. I suggest seeing if you can run the setup from within windows, and see if it gives you an option to upgrade. If it does and you're willing, just upgrade. If it does but you want to reformat, do so and then install any windows and then upgrade so it'll be clean. If neither appeal to you, or only a new installation of windows 64 is offered, then go ahead and install it to another partition on your hard drive, transfer what needs to be transfered, and delete the old partition (or have dual boot, whichever sounds good to you).

Terribly sorry for my rambling nature, hope I helped in some way, shape, or form.

yeah i tryed installing from within the windows enviroment, just like xp pro when i used the upgrade feature to intall over 98, but i tryed this b4 even burning to disk, as it would have saved me wasting a disk, but when setup files are executed in windows it just says "This version of windows must be installed by booting from CD, Please reboot your pc with the CD in the drive"

thanx agein for the reply!

OK, quick guess as to why it won't load...

Sounds like you (like my friend) de-compressed the .iso image to a folder--then burned the contents of that folder to disk.

The problem with this option is this: Windows hides system files on occation, so when you burned the disk--windows did not include those files, because they were hidden. Like I said, I have a friend that couldn't wonder why it wouldn't boot with that disk. I had him burn the .iso image using his nero (burn image--scroll type to other, not .nrg--find file--burn).

I have not tried it onto DVD. I have however, gotten it to load from a cd-r. Maybe it does need to be burned to cd??

--I still can't get it to load using a RAID-0 setup; as I am exploring those options...

Hope this helps...

Not sure if this will work for the 64 bit version but I have a backup of my XP disk I use to keep my original in good shape. The backup would not boot so I started the setup (boot portion) with my original and swapped the disks at the EULA screen and setup continued fine from there.