Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tree_farmer

nvidia 6800GT Gaming Issues

Ok folks i need some help seeing as the manufacturers arent helping me at all. I purchased a Nvidia 6800GT 256Mg video card and have it all installed. my monitor comes up and i can tweak the video card but when i try and game with it i have problems. City of Heroes wont launch at all and Call of Duty "not responding" when you try and change graphics settings or when you try and quit the game. Warcraft 3 still works tho....make me think its an open Gl problem but i dunno anymore.

Soyo Sy-KT Dragon Lite Motherboard

AMD Athalon XP 24 Processor

1.5 Gig of RAM

Windows Xp (ive tried with and without SP2 neither works, currently SP2 is installed)

Direct X 9.0c

Power source is 450W

Nvidia 6800Gt 256MG video card (driver version 61.77{not digitally signed but from what i can tell thats ok})

couple extra fans and misc cd rom and floppy drives.

Any idea on how to keep these games from crashing?

First thing I would try is by verifying that I had the latest 4in1 service pack installed, v4.53, from ViaArena.com.

If this failes to resolve the issue, then try re-installing both DX9.0c once more and the nVidia graphics card drivers. Be sure you reboot after re-installing each set of drivers.

If it's still not working then reboot the machine and go into the system BIOS and change the AGP 8x to 4x and disable the fast write AGP option and anything else that has to do with the AGP graphics modes.

Save and exit the new settings and see what happens.

It may have something to do with incompatibility with the motherboard chipset and the gpu...

Also, does this graphics card come with an auxillary power connector ?!?

My ATi X800 Pro does so you have to provide a separate connector for this. I use a connector that isn't connected to a drive or anything else just to make sure it's on it's own power rail wink

hey

i came across this post...

i had the exact same problems! I have an OCZ Modstream 520W PSU.. and realized the problem was a badly plugged PCIe power connector on the PSUs end...

after connecting.. no more crashes!!

it just sounded weird to me that no "power disfunction" was brought up by either the OS or the BIOS on the VGA... but hey: its working perfectly now!! laugh

The weird part was that even though FPS games were crashing, i could play for instance PES4 without the power connector correctly plugged :S weird huh? :S oh well... bahh

take care,

~EinZteiN