Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
somethingotherthenwindows

Download manager?

Hello, i was just wandering if there is such thing as a download manager for linux? like freshdownload. where you can reconnect, resume, pause, etc. etc. a download. if anyone knows where i could find one it would be great!! I've wanted to totally move to linux. the only1 was i can do that is with a couple more things. they are a download manager, driver for my video card (Radeon IGP 345M), some driver or whatever i need to get my wireless working, and some games. (FUN games like Diablo warcraft morrowwind fable). in that order too. now if i have all that set then i can really get down to work. like programming! or playing games... anyways any help would be much appreciated. thankksssssssssssssss smile

And the old standards, gftp or kbear, one of which is probably included with your distro.

The most popular is K3b, which is included in most distros by default, or on one of the cd disks that you burned.

It is also located here.

How do you install a RPM package with a debiAN based system? (ubuntu)

How does apt-get work and what is it?

please tell me soon, if you can. my new ubuntu is fast and the newest. so maybe it will help on my video card and wireless network problem! new kernel and all. allso i see that gnome 2.8 is incredably fast. its right up there with SUSE for me smile

From the ubuntu documentation page howto install k3b.

You also have Synaptic in your distro, which helps install packages and resolve and dependencies that may crop up. This is a graphical front-end for apt-get. It is fairly easy to use and will help get you going. Once you get the idea with synaptic, then you can also play with apt-get at the command line.

Don't worry about the newest and greatest kernel...just get used to the distro first and be comfortable with it. As you learn about what's going on, then you will be able to deal with any minor issues that exist on your system.

In terms of video and wireless problems, what problems are you having?

Post what wireless and video card that you have and the issues.

Hi somethingotherthenwindows,

I want to pass on to you some insight I have about learning Linux, because it helped me as well.

I can see like me, you are a VERY impatient person! wink Three days ago, you were running Gentoo. Yesterday it was Suse, and today it's Ubuntu! You are all over the map with Linux!

If just exploring is all you're really looking to do, then have at it. However, if you really want to learn Linux, you've got to stick with one distro, work to get your hardware working, learn its apps and utilities and how to install packages.

It was only when I settled down to really learning Linux that I found out how to make it work for me. Linux has taught me among other things, patience, which my wife constantly reminds me, is a virtue!

This is not intended as criticism. In fact, I admire your curiosity, drive and energy! I only wish to pass on friendly advice.

Having said that, we are more than willing to assist you and answer questions. Also, a Linux user's best friend is Google. 99% of the time, you'll find the right answer for Linux if you learn how to query Google. As a for instance. Google:

Debian apt-get how to synaptic packages

And watch what comes up! smile

im going to agree with Dapper Dan

at first i was all over the place many of the people here know that i asked alot of questions its good to explore and ger good ideas of different things but choose one and run with it youll learn twice as much

like Dapper Dan this isnt cryticism

what i would recommend is when sarge comes stable maybe give that a shot because you learn apt-get through ubuntu and stuff

but any how my recommandations are pick up on synaptic, and apt-get

and when you feel up to it compile a kernel