Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
XPCDave

XP application hangs when importing Video files

I have recently installed WinXP SP 2 on a new PC.

The problem I am having is the following:

Overview:

Using Movie Maker or any other video editing software I am unable to import existing video files into any of the editors that I have. The application will hang and will not return an error. This problem seems to be getting worse because I am now unable to encode edited files and I was able to import them before that….

Detail:

When the application hangs Event Viewer will just say the moviemaker.exe hung at address 00x000000…

I can easily import audio files and photos into the same applications without a problem. I have tried video files as small as 1MB and they all will hang.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the codecs, changing the video driver changing the video card from a Nvidia to a ATI.

Disabling the on board sound card and installing a SB Live. Uninstalling other editors…. I have been searching the KB on Microsoft.com…

I am new to XP but not to troubleshooting MS Windows versions… I am thinking that it is a codec problem and I need to manually delete codec associated files that are left after a uninstall then reinstall the codecs.

More information:

When I first installed XP whenever I opened a folder with video files and they were set to be viewed with a thumbnail the window would hang. I had to reinstall to correct that problem. I was also using a GForce 440 MX video card to begin with now I am using a ATI card. I am thinking of doing a complete reinstall now that I have a new video card… I am wondering if the video card is the root of the problem…

What do you all think? Can someone at least give me some direction to go?

My hardware configuration is:

P4 3.2Ghz HT “Prescott”

1GB PC3200 DDR400 Memory

ASUS P4P800SE 865PE Motherboard

ATI Radeon 9800SE Video

160GB SATA HD

Sony DVD-RW

No Floppy

Software:

MS WinXP SP2 - Windows Update run within that past few days

Thanks,

David