Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
netdokter

Promise Controller Problem?

I got a problem with my server. It rebooted for some reason an I found it stuck at the Fastbuild utility for the on-board raid.

It said that one o fthe disks is unplugged or failed. I checked the connections, rebooted up to windows (on the other disk) and windows proceeded to install the other HD as a new HD.

So I know the HD is working and there is no more raid array. It is shown as another duplicate basic disk in the OS.

However, when I reboot again, the raid controller utility thinks it is still bad (or not there) and the BIOS doesn't see it.

Could it bee that the raid controller it is on is toast?

Perhaps I should mirror it in Server2000 and not worry about it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

What SP do you have installed? SP3 for 2000 had some issues with some versions of Promise controllers for me. Reverting (at the time) to SP2 completely solved that problem.

It's possible that newer drivers/firmware may resolve that issue, though.

Would you recommend the software raid that win2000 supplies or would you stick with the promise raid on the mobo?

If I try to regenerate the mirror in the fastbuild utility, do you think it will delete the current partition on the known good drive?

I'm not familiar with that utility.

Thanks

netdokter

Promise supplies two drivers, irrespective of how you set the BIOS, if you load the ATA driver Win2k will see two disks, if you load the Array driver it will see one disk. I susspect you have both drivers in your system and a system glytch has made it reload the ATA driver. If you have a recent system registry hive backup you could reload that, or you could reload the Array driver.

If you want to recreate a mirror set from one good drive you can do that safely. Connect ONE drive ONLY to the array PATA connector. Set the BIOS to RAID, power the system up and go into the setup utility - ctrl F.

Write down the drive identifier and the channel number of the drive. Power down the system and connect the second drive. Go back into the Array utility.

You will now see two drives, but now you will know which is which. select recreate array, you will then be given the option to mirror one disk from the other. Select the disk to mirror from, you will now understand why you did step one :-)

Say yes and go to the pub. When you come back you will have a mirror pair. I have done this several times so I know it works. The time taken is roughly 100GB per hour.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your help. Here's an update. I just installed windows critical updates and re-booted the server and it happened again that my RAID failed.

Again I will re-create it.

My other server uses an add-in card and I never get any problems like this. Perhaps others should be wary of using on-board RAID, not to mention single point of failure.

Cheers

I am trying to reinstall xp on to a laptop. after loading the files from the cd to the hard disk, the system returns error message.

I think the problem is due to my lack of knowledge of "Promise controller" software ie. fastbuilt and fasttrak.

please help