Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k4

Iomega Zip zoom SCSI card, how to install it in W2k?

Anyone can tell me how to install ISA Iomege zip zoom card for SCSI ZIP 100 in W2K? Do i just run Ioware 2.0? I tried installing the generic AHA-Adaptec scsi controller driver(equivalent to zip zoom in W98) from W2K CD and it gives me a blue screen.

Thanks!

You have any luck getting this to work? I'm trying to build up a collection of how-to's for my PC before I install (so far, my once extremely compatible PC is quite incompatible with W2K. Sigh...).

I haven't tried it again cuz' I don't want another BSOD. I once heard if I get a blue screen i can always boot at a previous profile. I need to find out if that's true before I try installing my zip again. so stay tuned! smile

Tried. Ioware 2.0 installed but W2k would not detect my zip zoom card.. *doh*

if anyone can tell me how to install Zip zoom card that'll be great. Thanks!

I've not received my copy of W2K, so I'm not speaking from experience, but did you upgrade to W2K from W98 (or NT 4.0), or did you install clean? I wonder if the SCSI drivers I currently use in NT 4.0 would work in W2K.

I did a clean install. W98 will use a compatible Adaptec AHA something scsi driver for the zip zoom card without asking for the Iomega Driver disk. Unfortunately when I tried to install the same adaptec device in W2K, blue screen of death!!

Iomega still haven't done anything regarding W2K drivers yet.. i guess we'll just have to wait.

Just found this on Deja. You might give it a try and see what happens (it was posted on 1/23/00).

-----------------------

I am responding to my own message as this may help folks with other "legacy" devices.

I found that the sparrow driver, in the NT registry, had an entry for ""LegacyAdaptorDetection". This I found in the

System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sparrow\Parameters entry.

I guess when I resinstalled, restored, the OS this was kept at at zero. I reset the value to "1", then rebooted. Lo and behold, NT found new hardware and installed the driver. Interesting, that this was the driver I tried to install myself but would not work. Well, the Zip drive is working again. I wonder if other folks, as the go through the beta cycle and overinstall NT are having the same problems with legacy devices?

"Stewart Meyer" <s.meyer@computer.org> wrote in message

news:#c0TjddZ$GA.254@cppssbbsa04...

> When I first installed Win 2000 RC2 my Zip drive with the Zip Zoom card

> worked. As I was experimenting with the operating system, I accidently

> messed something up and had to do a restore. Everything came back as

before

> (surprisingly), even with the warnings it wouldn't, except the Zip drive

> cannot be seen. All my applications, other hardware, shortcuts, and

> personal settings survived. I am getting an error in the service manager

on

> the sparrow.sys driver. I have no idea why not.

>

> Also, it is interesting that NT does not show Iomega as a manufacturer.

>

> Anybody have any ideas? I have tried almost everything other than wiping

> the slate clean and starting all over.

WARNING: The following content that I have posted requires not just computer experience, but computer knowledge. You'll be installing a Non-PnP device, and setting those up is tough. If you know what IRQs and I/O Addresses are, then you're good. GOOD LUCK!!!

I DID IT!!! Guys, the easiest way to install ANY external device to the Zip Zoom (otherwise known as an Adaptec AHA-1502, not AVA-1502E), all you need to do (I did it on Windows 2000, so it should work on XP) is to first find any IRQs between nine and eleven open. The I/O address is most likely free (unless you have a lot of gunk installed in your PCI/ISA slots). Just go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Hardware, select the "Add a new device" option, Next, select the "No, I want to select the hardware from a list" option, next, scroll down and select "SCSI and RAID Controllers", and next. Whew that's a mouthful. In this next window, there's two lists. Make sure you have "Adaptec" selected in the list to the left. In the list to the right, click on "Adaptec AHA-1502 SCSI Host Adapter," and click next. Now you get an error message. Don't worry, it's a good message. Just click ok and another box pops up. In there enter the IRQ and I/O Address values. The I/O address value should already be suggested. Just click ok IF AND ONLY IF there is no conflicting device. When you're done overall you should get no conflicts from either I/O Address or IRQ. Just keep clicking next from there and finish. It'll ask you to restart and bam you're done. Now, there's one problem I encountered, but with common sense, solved. Make sure you set your drive's ID to 1 instead of something like 5 or 6. What happens is that Windows sees just extra copies of the drive than needed and is really annoying (plus, if you have a lot of hard drives, it hogs up drive letters). I don't know if this'll happen when you have it set to 2 when you have another SCSI device that's set to 1, but if it's a standalone keep it at 1. Now, I really doubt if Windows 9x (yes, Windows ME is part of Windows 9x) supports this SCSI adapter by default. If it's not in the list of SCSI adapters, just download the driver (I'm not gonna explain how to install drivers...only reason I said all this is because for all you that know what drivers are but don't know IRQs and stuff, this is to help you out). Just download the driver from http://www.driverguide.com/ and click on "Driver List" to the left. These guys have drivers for everything, including the adapter (trust me, I checked). You have to sign up to use it (it's free, and it's DEFINITELY worth the hassle) Anyhow, I hope this info helps you guys out!

==================================================

It said "Windows XP Required," so I used Windows 2000.

==================================================

Bill