Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Whiskers

bought Epson Perfection scanner, need some graphics software now

I've tried using the GIMP, though its limited in its abilities and difficult to use. In Windows I've always used Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, which wont run under wine or CrossOverOffice (why the heck it needs IE installed for graphics software is beyond me!) I'm looking for some linux graphcs editing software with twain or whatever its used under linux, i need to import the pictures from the scanner, then be able to touch up and restore them, tools such as clone brush (as its called in PSP) are my best friends in touching up old photos. Thank you for any help and suggestions you can provide.

Sorry, I guess I answered my own post, a friend told me about GIMP v2, which has more features and is easier to use, than the 1.25 version I had before

On a related note, I bought an Epson Stylus color 777 for my mother about 2 years ago. It has NEVER worked, and Epson ignored requests for support. This printer is purported to work with Linux, so when I switched her over, I tried to configure it. It immediately wanted new printer cartridges which hold about a drop each and are very expensive. I forked out the fifty dollars for new ink and the thing goes through the actions of printing yet there is nothing on the paper. I went through the process of clearing the heads, but how can they be clogged with ink if it has never worked?

I researched this printer online, and buyers had volumes of nothing but bad things to report about it. You cannot refill the cartridges because they have a chip in the cartridge itself that prevents it. Also, many complained that, even when only printing in black and white, this damn thing shoots out blue or red ink before shooting out black, so you'll run out of color ink even though you aren't even using it! The paper feed is a joke and will not pick up paper without manually jamming it into the feeder.

In my mind, Epson clearly is trying to take advantage of consumers with the old Micro$oft, if-we-can get-our-hand-in-your-pocket-once-we-can-keep-it-there-for-the-rest-of-your-life, business philosophy.

I understand Epson makes other models of scanners and printers that work well with Linux, but the damage is already done.

I wouldn't buy another Epson printer, even if it was the only way I could print with Linux. I'd just do without.

I've decided to go with the Gimp v2.05, now I need to get the scanner working, its an epson perfection photo 4180. I've dont some looking and i think i need either a frontend or backend to get it to work, though no clue what either are :P Sane, or image ready or somethign for linux, which only works half-assed on 2.6 kernerls (grrr)

As you can tell, im clueless