Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
drska

Linux version for me

Hey i got a ques what distro of linux should i get if i am running this system and these progs,

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

-

GIGABYTE "GA-K8NS PRO" nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU

-

512 MB Ram(going for 1gb when i get the money)

progs i will be using: winex(for gaming aka counterstrike for me) will most likely be play cs ALOT, wine, want to have a good connection with internet, Firefox, download prog(gIFT), gAIM, probably be listening to music alot.

If you could help me out thx, i was thinking about getting gentoo or slackware but not sure if it would fit good, and using gnome desktop with fluxbox

dr ska

Gentoo is a great distro but, it can be difficult to setup. If you have the time to do the setup(I would set aside a weekend for the install), it is definitly worth it. One thing to consider is your internet connection speed, it needs to be fast. It's package management system, portage, is great, but everything is downloaded from the internet. Before you decide to go with it though I would wait and take some suggestions from other users, there might be another distro which is easier to setup that fits your needs. Here are other threads on Gentoo, which might help with your decision.

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/thread28537-1.html

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/thread28037-1.html

Good luck.

Welcome drska,

I always recommend Debian but lately I've been enjoying ubuntu and recomending it to people who ask. I've never used winex so I can't comment on that. I find it much easier just having a dual boot system for gaming. ubuntu has all the apps you'll need and the ease of apt for pkg management. Gentoo is great you just need some time to set it up. I've used Slack and I'm not a big fan. I've never bothered with fedora because after my expierence with Mandrake I just don't like RPM distros.

Fedora has a lot of support here so you will find lots of friendly advice if you choose fedora. Any linux distro will give you what you want just and all have advatages and disadvantages you just got to find what fits your style best. For me it's Debian/sid for you it may be gentoo. Try a couple different ones and see what ya like. There are some great people on here never be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are dumb. We we're all newbies once.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

i agree with egorgry im using debian sarge and tried ubuntu for a while and would recommend the only thing im unsure of is about 64bit compatibility it should have 64 bit support

gentoo is fast and good but is a pain to setup

id recommend trying ubuntu i beleive they just came out with a live cd

I'd go with either Mepis, (Debian based) or Fedora Core 1, both of which I use. Fedora is a really good first distro, is easy to install and use, and with apt-get RPM is just as handy with downloading and installing apps and programs as Debian. In my estimation, Fedora is a little easier to configure, since it offers many easy to use, and easy to understand, configuration tools.

I've been playing Team Fortress via the new Steam servers under Fedora Core 1 and Suse Professional 9.1, and it plays as well under Linux using Winex3/Cedega as under Windows. I've not played Counter Strike, but understand it plays about as well.

Also, while checking out Desktop Environments, have a look at IceWM. It's as fast or faster than Fluxbox, and is highly configurable.

sounds like suse could be your choice, it has lots of windows-like behaviour for beginners , it is easy to install and it has its own 64bit install cd/dvd - try it out

I have a Gforce 4 64 MB and i feel its not working here cause some flash files dont run as smoothly as i expected. Should look for the linux drivers for this video card? Its nvidia btw.

I used to have a GeForce 4 64 MB card and it worked great with the NVIDIA linux drivers.