Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tylau

Crossover Cat5 cable for 10-baseT NIC?

I have try to connect W2K machie with w95 machine using crossover cable (i.e. direct connection of NIC withour using a hub) it seems the NIC and its associated protocol(IPX/SPX) works fine(my RTS6029AS is W2K certified though), but without any packet receiving from the other machine. I am suspecting that if W2K is actually not supporting such direct cable connecting and ouwld necessitate a hub connection for my two machine only LAN. PLease help, Thanks.

tylau smile

Yes win2k does support direct pc connection. Im not sure why you would be having the trouble. I think maybe its your media type. Instead of having it as default choose the actual media type like 100basetx or 100baset. do this with the other machine as well. I have had problems and have heard of network related problems due to the fact that the media type was left at default in win2k.

Make sure that you have the IP addresses correct on both machines. (Basic network troubleshooting). Correct protocols, machine names, domain names etc.

Win2k works great on my two machine network. The easist way that I set mine up was to set up my internet connection on the one machine and then enable internet connection sharing on that machine. The system set up the IP addresses for me. Also make sure that the drives on the appropriate machines are set to shared if you want to access files. Same for printers etc.

Ed

Check that the IPX/SPX stack is actually installed and bound to the NIC under W2K. IIRC, this stack is not installed by default under W2K, but is under Win9x...

Hi all,

This is actually quite problematic as I cant really figure out where is the source of the problem. Here is further on this problem,

I have been using exactly the same NICs and media(cable) on W98/W95 machines for over a year without a problem, and I have checked many times the hardware NIC driver, protocol IPX/SPX and MSN service are bounded properly to my NIC; and I have set exactly the same DOMAIN name, workgroup name and computer name for my W2K computer as before. Network properties show the NIC is working properly, the LAN card is shown started with packets trying to send out (but not coming in). No computer is shown inside Network Naightbourhood except the local machine. I have also tried to clear everything insider network properties and start everything allover again, including NIC driver, protocol, and MSN service but still no clue. I have login using ADministrator rights in W2K and no security options has been set for my installation of W2K.

My NIC is using the W2K included shipping driver for RTS8029AS.

I may be a little loose on the terms used, it is a "direct cable connection with NICs" used. cheers.

There is always something missing when I cant see the whole thread while typing; I have try to use DHCP service on the W2K to allocate IP address for my machine, and I have try to make sure it is not the cause of the problem then I have remove modem card driver and TCP/IP from my W2K machine but still no luck.

I have try also manually setting 802.3 frame type, auto packet size, duplex mode on and off, including 10base-T (as it is communicating with the other machine that has a RTS8129 NIC(10/100-baseT). whew!