Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmmijo

Just read a review of PCI-Express video cards vs. top AGP8x ones...

@APK, as to question:

Yes, they are available. I just built a graphics workstation for a client based on a Dual-Xeon(Nacona) by Supermicro. It had everything you'd want in a higher end board:

(8)Eight DDR2 DIMM slots, a PCI Express x16 graphics slot, a PCI Express x4 auxilary slot, a single PCI 2.2 slot, and finally (3)PCI-X slots, one being a Zero Channel Raid slot.

The client also ordered a PNY Quadro Graphics card, also PCI Express with 256MB of onboard frame buffering. This connects to the x16 slot of course wink

As for the performance, seemed to be on par with the mid-high end AGP 8x cards and GPU's. I didn't notice any real speed difference with 3D Mark 2001-SE (Build 330). This I'm sure is due to the fact this older app didn't properly recognize the PCI Express slot.

Yup. To add to that, PCI Express should be denoted as either PCIe or PCI-E. PCI-X is PCI eXtended, and is based on the same parallel architecture as standard PCI slots.

I see tons of people mistakenly thinking PCI-X=PCI Express, but I can easily understand how that'd happen.