Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matrix3000k

call of duty help

hey everyone. i need some help and advice on something. i have winex 3.3 i think the version is anyways its installed and it installs games just fine. i have one problem......when i run winex3 for call of duty the install runs and it starts to install the first disk. when it gets to the part where it asks for the second disk i can not eject the cd since its mounted and when i unmount it the install quite. now i saw some posts in here that many people get it to work under linux but did not post how it they did. does someone out there know what to do????? if so please write a mini howto and post it or if you would like you can e-mail it to me at matrix3000k@gmail.com i would really really appreciate it if someone did. thanks alot everyone

latezs

..:The Linux Guru:..

Hi matrix3000k, and welcome! smile

Are you unmounting the cd from the command line? Which desktop environment are you using? Gnome? Kde? other?

If from the command line, try:

eject /mnt/cdrom [enter]

rather than unmounting it, then put the other cd in.

If that doesn't work either, and you have the drive space, you could try copying the contents of all the cds into one folder and install from that.

I would also recommend upgrading from Winex3.3 to the newest Cedega.

hey dan i tried to eject the cd and it ejected but now it will not read from cd2 it just keeps asking for it. i tired copying the files from both cds to the hard drive since i do have the hard drive space and that didn't work either it still kept asking for cd 2. then i installed it on my windows machine and logged in through samba and copyied all the files from my windows machine to my linux box where the transgamming folder is and i made sure everything was in the right place and that didn't work. i got "could not find default.cfg Make sure call of duty is run from the correct folder" so im out of ideas now. do you have any more maybe??? that would be great.

oh by the way im my system is suse 9.1 professional. i use nothing but window maker and everything is executed through console. its a 2.8ghz machine with 1gig of ram....if you would like to look at the specs of my machine you can simply go to http://www.matrix3000k.org/phpsysinfo

thanks again for the help Dan

Mario

..:The Linux Guru:..

This may be a dumb question, but are you trying to install straight from winex 3.3 or have you tried installing it with Point2Play? I didn't much like Point2Play, (mainly because I thought it was unnecessary) until I found out you had to use it to install Steam to play HL online mods like Counter Strike and Team Fortress. Steam would not install correctly without it. If you haven't done so, Install the latest Point2Play and see if that makes a difference. I have a hunch it might.

hey dan i got the game to in install both cds with point2play and you were right on that one. now i can get it to run....i think maybe its a copy and not the orginal cds. but i do have a crack .exe for it and i copied it to the directory to over write the .exe file in there but when i execute the game it will not start. do you think maybe this is becuase its a crack and it need the orginal game cd to play???? let me know what you think thanks soooooooo much for the help before as well.

..:"The Linux Guru":..

Not trying to be critical of you personally matrix3000k, but I personally don't approve of running pirated, or otherwise illegally obtained copies of games. If on the other hand, you purchase a legitimate copy of the game, you'll likely have less trouble getting it installed and playable.

I have used cd cracks before, but ONLY in such instances where I've already purchased a Windows game or software that will not work under Linux without it.

"Blue" Shift and "Gunman Chronicles" come to mind. Both would install, but kept begging for the cd even though it was in the tray and running. A crack enabled me to play these games I had already purchased.

Why not go ahead and get a legitimate copy so you'll run into less difficulty? smile

Get the Call of Duty Linux installer from

www.liflg.org

This way u can avoid the ejecting problem altogether. And it even puts entries into ur menu bar.