Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snakefoot

Microsoft Backup: Questions on what can affect it working

What kind of operation are you trying to perform with Ntbackup ? (Backup/Restore some special directory?)

What kind of problems do you experience that causes Ntbackup not to work ?

Do you have any errors in the Event Log ?

What operating system are you using ?

Are you running Ntbackup as a scheduled task or interactively ?

Does Ntbackup work in safemode ?

I don't have Worstation and Server installed and Ntbackup works just fine on Win2k for me.

Guess you need to have the following services configured(WinXP SP2):

COM+ Event System (Manual)

COM+ System Application (Manual)

DCOM Server Process Launcher (Automatic)

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider (Manual)

Removable Storage (Manual)

Volume Shadow Copy (Manual)

Windows Management Instrumentation (Automatic)

Glad you got your backup running. Must admit that I can run Ntbackup with Removable Storage Disabled. Ntbackup gives me a warning at startup about not being able to contact Removable Storage and therefore it cannot backup to tape-drives. But it is still able to save the backup-files to the local harddrive.

P.S. The solution thing on this message-board looks like a nice feature, but it seems that it still need some improvements as it is rather unreadable without text-formatting smile

Quote:
Is that on XP?

I just saw the warning here on 2000 & said "Well, better heed it & turn that service on for now!"

How about those other services you mention on XP (The Volume Shadow Copy & also the MS Shadow Copy Provider)?

Cut them out if you would, just so myself & others KNOW NTBackup's dependencies on services etc. & see if you can perform a small backup to another disk (provided you have one, sounds as if you do).
Don't use XP at home (Win2k), so my suggestion of needed services comes from reading about other people having problems with Ntbackup smile