Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mthaler

Two Small Biz Server 2000 questions

First question should be easy, but I can't find it the solution. Where do I go to find out the total number of client licenses in SBS2K? It is not in the control panel (they say that with SBS it is not in the Licensing applet) and when I went to the SBS adminstrator I did not find an obvious location. I need to know to find out how many more they need to purchase.

2nd questioin is if they want to use Terminal Server to connect to there system, is the best approach to put in a second server dedicated to that, and does that just run Win2K server? Part B of that question would be, how many clients can you run off of one Terminal Server box?

Thanks

Ok, found the answer to my first question:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296052&Product=sbs

Click Start, click Small Business Server Personal Console, and then click About under the Helpful Links section in the right pane.

It is not exactly in an obvious place...

So, back to question 2, please help with terminal server in conjunction with SBS2000. Can you set up a Win2k server as a member server to handle the TS clients? And how many clients per server is advised?

Originally posted by mthaler:

Quote:
So, back to question 2, please help with terminal server in conjunction with SBS2000. Can you set up a Win2k server as a member server to handle the TS clients? And how many clients per server is advised?

Yes, typically Windows Terminal Services is installed on a member server, and not on a domain controller. This relieves the domain controller of the additional activities that are required.

You also normally find that WTS servers are often better spec'ed than run-of-the-mill domain controllers. Based on figures quoted on the release of Windows 2000 Server, you'll need to provide between 4mb and 8mb (on top of the base RAM requirement) for each terminal services session. Processor speed also has a large impact of the responsiveness of the sessions, most recommend that you plump for a dual-processor server as a minimum. Essentially try and get the best possible processor(s) with as much RAM as you can afford.

Also, be aware that the licensing scheme for WTS is above and beyond that required for Windows 2000 Server. WTS requires a seperate Windows 2000 Server license, normal Client Access Licenses (CAL) for that server and additional specific WTS CALs per seat. But the good news is that (AFAIK), Windows 2000 & XP Pro allow you to access a WTS server without having to have a client CAL.

Hope this helps.

When you say "not a domain controller" do you mean that you don't have to install Active Directory on the TS machine? (since AD would make it a domain controller).

Originally posted by mthaler:

Quote:
When you say "not a domain controller" do you mean that you don't have to install Active Directory on the TS machine? (since AD would make it a domain controller).

Yes, that is correct. If you only need to have a few TS clients (and you've got a reasonably high spec'ed server) you could run it off a/your DC with no problems.

But if the need is for far greater TS clients, then it's best to have a dedicated member server running the WTS duties.

EDIT part - Remember that if you are running Windows SBS you cannot have another Domain Controller on the network - any server versions of Windows must attach as member servers. But you probably already knew that smile.