Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
viper96477

a linux newbie wf Installing problem on mandrake v10

I am a total newbie of linux.

I try to install mandrake v10. cd1 does boot..but it prompt out "that cdrom disk does not seem to be a mandrake linux installation cdrom". why?

I have also tried booting from cd2 but it still says "that cdrom disk does not seem to be a mandrake linux installation cdrom", after that i insert cd1 again but it still still say "that cdrom disk does not seem to be a mandrake linux installation cdrom". why?

can anyone help me?

I just have a cdrw drive on my pc...which means i use the cdrw drive as my cdrom drive...is this the problem? but i dont think so...

Rather than write another response to a similar post, I will borrow from Dapper Dan.

look at this post and answer the same questions on your thread.

can I just burn the new CDs from the existing CDs that I have but with lower burning speed?(better for me).... or i must burn CDs out from the ISO?

OK, let's try this.

Look at the cd's that you already burned. Did you burn just the iso image on the cd, or burn the image? A properly burned iso image will result in you seeing several directories and files on the cd, NOT just the iso image file itself.

Most burning software has a choice of "burning image." This is what you want. For example, in Nero, use the dropdown menu-->file-->burn image. Again, do not just burn the file to the cd. You need to burn the image, which results in a proper boot disk (for cd 1..).

When burning iso files, you should use a slow burning speed, not the top rated speed of the cdrw drive. Use 4X, no more than 8X burning speed. ISO files like to be burned at a slow speed.

Occassionally, the downloaded iso file is incomplete.. especially when using modem speeds to download the files. This is why each iso file has a corresponding md5sum, which allows you to verify the integrity of the iso file.

You must use the iso file to burn the cd. If the already burned cd's do not work, then there is something wrong with them, so there is no use burning from bad cd's.

So, post back what you have found and what cd burning software that you are using, so we can guide you better.

OK, then where did you get the cd's from? Are they official Mandrake cd's or other?

I suspect a hardware issue.

What are the specs. of your system?

Brand/model of cdrw drive. This may actually be the issue.

System model or motherboard model

Processor type and speed

Amount of memory installed

Are you trying to boot directly from the cd disk 1, or did you open the install disk in Windows first, get the Mandrake screen, then try to reboot with the cd in the drive?

Do you have another os on the system? how did you partition the drive for Mandrake? Did you use the Mandrake partitoning utility or another package, such as PartitionMagic/

well, i brought it from my friend tho...didnt know how he get it..and i didnt ask...

anyway, i have now turn to mandrake 9.1...and i have install it..but i cant get my sound card to be setup..how do i set up the sound card?

well, I install my mandrake 9.1 on to another 4GB hard disk..this hd is only for linux...I have another os on my system which is winxp and that is install on a different hard disk..

my cdrw drive is a lite-on.

I didnt partition my drive when installing mandrake..i just let mandrake did everything for me..

i suppose when u have enough hard disk space, u should let your linux swap partition to have the same amount of space as your amount of memory RAM, to let linux to have a better performance, correct? which is I now have 512 RAM and i should let the swap partition to have 512 MB of space, correct?

but the problem is, my swap partition now has only 243mb, how do i change my swap partiton space to 512MB ? (one of my memory is not attached properly, this is because I didnt attach it properly the other day when i remove it for a moment, and i just discovered that the memory was not attached properly a few moments ago.)

so..do I need to reinstall the mandrakelinux in order to get the swap partition space right? or I can adjust it without reinstalling?

The swap partition is just that, a partition. To change it, you need to disable the swap, resize the swap partition (if there is any available resources ie: unformatted space), then re-enable the swap.

ie:

swap may be /dev/hda1 243 MB

boot may be /dev/hda2 32 MB

root may be /dev/hda3 HDD Size - 243MB - 32MB

If the partitions are setup in this fashion, I dont know how much luck you will have. Most of the articles/forums I have seen on this topic suggest backing up root to another disk and then 'fdisk' and delete root and swap and resize them both.

Docs:

GNU Parted (wont help - but check it out)

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html#features

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1610988

A quick guide for use of fdisk if you have spare unpartitioned space or a spare HDD:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4

If you have 512 RAM, you probably won't even need a swap. Before trying to do any reconfiguring, you may want to try disabling your swap space and see if you're OK. Chances are you'll actually notice an improvement in performance and speed as you are forcing everything through RAM.

To unmount your swap, just go into the Mandrake Control Center, and choose "Mount Points." Then unmount your swap. Don't worry. The next time you reboot your swap will get re-mounted. If you are satisfied not using the swap, it's a simple matter to disable it.

hey...not bad...

without the linux swap partition, the OS really has a better performance...

basically, my linux display look fine..but i dont really know whether the configuration is suitable for my display card...my display card model is Asus V9520 Magic GeForce FX 5200..

and where to setup my soundcard? i cant anywhere to set it up..

my soundcard is an onboard built-in sound card of ASUS P4P800 motherboard..

and also, it seems like my old dial-up modem is not working as well..

haha...i am really a linux dummy.. :P

Be thankful that your modem works at all! smile Tell us what it is and maybe we can tweak it. To set up sound, look in your Mandrake Control center. There is a utility there to configure it. As root you can run:

XFdrake [enter]

To configure your video card, monitor and resolutions.

but i cant find my display card model in the list..

and my soundcard is not detected yet...i am using an onboard soundcard..

where should i mount the cdrom and cdrw mount point? and y it give my an error message of something like cannot open or find kfmclient??

how to mount the my cdrom and cdrw, as well as my floppy drive?

i referred to the book which ask me to type for example:

mount -t /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

but it doesnt work for me..

an i dont have the permission to mount it..

further more, isnt that the cdrom suppose to be at /dev/cdrom ?

but at the mandrake control center, it shows me that my cdrom is hdc..and my cdrw is hdd...should't them be cdrom and cdrom1 ?

the sound card...there is no responce when i clicked the only button "run config tool" while i was trying to configure my sound card..

OK, I re-read your posts. You have Mandrake 9.1 installed now?

In terms of mounting your cdrom and cdrw drives, no, usually it goes like this;

mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

Where /dev/hdc is the location of the device for the cdrom and mnt/cdrom is the location to mount to.

Look in the /mnt directory and see what the folders are for the cdrom and cdrw. Do you see two folders, like cdrom and cdrom1? If not you need to find what they are or make the mount points. Let us know if they are there, I can't remember what mount points are in Mandrake 9.1 by default. We can try another method, if this does not seem right.

And. you need to be root user to mount any devices. So at the normal console, type;

su (hit the enter key)

and you will be prompted for your root password, which I hope that you remember from the install.

Then you can mount the cdrom or cdrw drives.

What book are you referring to?

Have you looked in /mnt ? I can't imagine Mandrake not mounting your drives already. You shouldn't have to be doing this manually.

Open nautilus or konqueror, hit the up arror until it won't go anywhere else, then look for a file called "mnt." (Without the quotes, of course.)

after all sorts off trouble..the cdroms on my linux are mounted after i decided to reinstall everything...

but still...there are no response after i have clicked the "run config tool" when trying to config my sound card..my soundcard are still not detected..

I am running Mandrake Linux 10.1. I am presently unable to mount my cdrw drive and there is no obvious automatic way to mount it. There is no entry for cdrw in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab. Also, I want to be able to boot from this drive. My CMOS indicates that this cd drive is the first checked, but I have been unable to boot from it.

Could you give a little more information?

You are running Mandrake now, so I assume that you installed it with the same cdrw drive, or was it added after installing Mandrake?

If you installed the cdrw drive after installing Mandrake, did you jumper the drive properly?

Is it detected in the bios, or seen as the system starts up?