Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hulettk

Can you UNDO a Ghost Image???

Is it possible to undo a Ghost image?

Here's what happened:

I installed an OS and applications for this older Compaq system. The system is slow, so it took quite some time. After making different configurations changes, obtaining updates, etc etc... I felt I was ready to make a Ghost image.

With another blank harddrive attached, I was going image the disk to the new drive. As I began to select the drives to image, I noticed something odd. The drives listed didn't seem to match. Drive 1 was displayed as being smaller than drive 2, yet drive 1 was supposed to be just slightly larger than drive 2. I stopped and went back through another part of the program to try to verify which was which. In the end, I picked the combination that appeared to be the only correct possibility. And of course, it turned out wrong. Within a few seconds, the original drive with all the software was wiped clean.

Needless to say, I was not happy.

What gets me is that I've been using Ghost all week long on other systems. I feel very confident with how it operates and it's different quirks. However this time, I don't understand why it was so hard to tell which drive was which.

Is there ANY way to undo the ghost image? With how fast it overwrote the data, I get the feeling it's more like a quick format. All the data may still be there. Can it be recovered? Nothing further has been written to the disk. It is on hold until I can find an answer.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not entirely sure how Ghost works, but from memory it looks like it only copies sectors with data on them, as well as the file tables. If this is the case, Ghost probably only updated the file tables and didn't copy any actual data across.

If you're lucky, you may be able to recover the data using a disk recovery package, but without the file tables all of the files will probably be called file.001, file.002 and so on.

It may be easier in the long run to just start again... ;(

AndyF