Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Syd Bat

Your opinion counts!

Hi. I am contemplating installing Linux on my second HDD. I would like to know, in your honest opinion, which version is best (Red Hat, Debian, etc.).

Initially, I want to 'play with' the OS to determine what it can do. I understand the implications of installing a truly interactive OS – not a 100% point-and-click environment – but I would like to install something that has a nice GUI. I am not enough of a geek to delve too deep into the workings, but enough of one to understand some command line interfacing.

I feel that if I can gain a better understanding of Linux, I will be able to relate that knowledge to my clients and help them make better IT choices. Currently, I am running Win2k with 256 ram, 32MB video and an older Realtek NIC.

Thank you for your help. smile

Hi Syd Bat, and welcome! At this point, I would recommend going with a "live cd" distro such as Knoppix, Morphix, or Mepis, so you can get a good feel for Linux WITHOUT having to install it to your Hard drive and risk damage to your existing Windows installation.

A live CD is a complete Linux OS which runs off of the CD and will have no effect on your hard drive. Then, if you like it, and whether or not it, "finds" all of your hardware properly, you can then install it to your hard drive, or go with one of the main line distros.

Just download the ISO file to your computer and then burn the image to a cd at no greater than 8x. I'd do a mid5sum check also to make sure you didn't get a corrupted download which does happen.

In fact, you can burn one of these live CDs and hand them out to your clients for evaluation! They will be impressed! smile

I agree those live cd's are the greatest. I like morphix and phlak alot. if you then choose to install I recommend suse or fedora if you want to use it for IT your customers. Debian is great I use love and would never use anything else but it's not for the faint of heart and it doess't have a chance in IT.

Debian is the best way to go. Nothing beats the reliability of their packaging method for maintaining and upgrading your system. However, even though it's gotten better, Debian can still be a pita to set up. Mepis offers a great way to set up a really nice Debian complyant build with a minimum of hassle. You'll also be able to check your hardware compatability before you install.

I'm not a seasoned IT person by a LONG_SHOT. Just a n00bie.

I will echo though, that Fedora was a lot easier to deal with.

everything that came with it worked out of the box.

Hey everyone,

Who thinks that Sarge will be much easier when it goes stable?

Is the concensus of thought that it will be much easier to work with?

I've set up sarge with the beta installer and it was a piece of cake. I think it's gonna be a huge improvment and get people interested in Debian and once you get use to apt ther is nothing else that compares. I might not be teh best judge. My method of installing Debian is usually custom netboot.iso install with the unstable apt sources then an imediate kernel compile to teh latest and greatest so I guess anything is easier than that. wink