Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BMyers

No Boot

Help! I accidntly shut My PC off by the power switch.Now it won't boot. It will not go to last know config,Normal startup,and when I try safemode it just stop at a point with had drive activity but nothing going on. When it tries to go inot XP it goes to CHDSK and says "Cannot open volume for direct acess. Finished.The hard drive is a new WD120/7200. I tried a fixmbr and fixboot off the OS cd in recovery and did not do anything. Below is the specs of the PC. Thanks Bruce

XP Prof

Thermotake 480 PS

ATI 9700Pro

KT4ulyra-Fisr

2800 Barton

512 2700 DDR

120 WD 7200 HD

DvD Rom

Audigy 2 Platinum

USR 56K modem

1.44 Floppy

Sony DVD Burner

Already have a backup of your data? Fine!

If not... You might also try to boot up with CD (like knoppix) and save your data on another medium (network, USB stick, whatever).

Which data are essential to you is specific, think about Desktop, Bookmarks, "My documents"-Directory (and the one of the potential other users), emails, etc.

Can I boot up with the XP cd and recover files. What do you think happened? Did it lost a major boot file? The drive is new.

Have you ever heard of turning the pc off by accident and then not booting? I guess reloading xp over xp might not help. Bruce

I would suggest using the Repair installation feature of XP so that you wont lose all your settings.

You might want to try this if you feel the need to move your data and/or attempt another recovery (if at least to read the event logs) http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

G'luck