Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ibanez11223

Latest fedora core 2 kernal wont boot!

well i used that up2date thingy and i updated my kernal to the latest one today, it took so long to bring up the boot screen, then about after 20 min it said checking for new hardware, it sat thier for about 5 hours and did nothing. it just kept saying Checking for new hardware. and 1 more thing, is it normal for fedora core to boot for like 10 min? i herd it was supposed to be fast at booting. someone please help me frown

Since Fedora seems to be having trouble with some piece of hardware, we need to know more information.

if you have a prebuilt system, such as a Dell, Gateway...post the model number.

If this is a self built system, gve us some details on the system, such as the motherboard model, amount of ram, processor, hard drive size and any other hardware that you have on the system, especially any external hardware connected to the system.

Durig the install, did you have any problems? How did you partition the hard drive?

Is there another OS that you are running on the system that functions properly? in otherwords, are you dual-booting wndows and fedora?

The issue is that it could be a number of things, from a bios setting, faulty or inadequate power supply, IRQ conflict and any number of hardware issues.

One way to troubleshoot is to take off any external hardware on the system and see how Fedora boots. If it boots in about 1 minute, then you have narrowed the problem down.

If there is no change, we can go from there.

I have always had trouble with up2date. Sometimes it will just sit there forever, and won't download anything. I don't use it anymore, and use apt-get rpm to update my Fedora boxes. If you're using Core 2, see this "How To" to get apt-get going if interested.

na everything went fine. i made the system myself. i got

Radeon 8500

amd 2600+

768 ddr ram

asus a7n8x-e delux

sound blaster audigy 2

segate harddrive 160 gig

i got a sony cd burner, toshiba dvd player

floppy drive

i got 2 front usb drives, and thiers a card reader attached to it(mabey thats it cause it dont work under windows either?)

and i got 2 firewire in the back

yea i had the same problem with up2date it sat thier and did nothing acting like it crashed but if u just wait an hour or so it'll finish what its doin.

well i removed everything except the harddrives, video card, and cd roms. still dont work.

1.jpg

Took about 30 min to get thier! and just stopped.

2.jpg

3.jpg

yup just sat thier for like 30 min and did nothing, it didn't even get to the probing for new hardware part. ;( ;(

I don't know if this will help so take it for what it's worth.

I just booted my Fedora Core 2 box, and the next thing after, "Remounting root file system in read write mode:" is enabling swap partition. Maybe it's hanging trying to mount your swap. I can't imagine why this would be a problem, but if it were me, I'd get out the installation cd disk one, and boot into rescue mode. It will explain how as you go along. Then mount the partition that your root directory is on and do:

vi /etc/fstab [enter]

And see if something is screwy looking with the way your swap partition is listed. If it looks ok, I'd comment it out, that is, press insert, and arrow down and put a # sign in front of your swap listing, press ESC then : then x and press enter to exit vi and then see if you can get it to boot without the swap.

I may be totally off base, I'm just saying how I might try to approach the problem if it were mine.

Sorry I couldn't help more...

Ahhh.. Nice photos!

I notice a few things.

Take out the disconnected pci card (SB audigy?) and all connections to it totally. Don't leave it sitting in the box.

Or, reconnect it fully in the system.

Secure your video card with a retaining screw and make sure that the card is seated correctly and fully.

Disconnect the card reader from the USB slot in the front. This is likely a problem. USB2 in the front?

How is the boot now? If nogo;

Try Dapper Dan's excellent recomendation.

See if the booting speed improves a lot.

This Asus board has been problematic for some. I can't remember the specifics, but is this a KT-400 chipset or is there raid or sata support on this board?

hi this to let you know that i have the same problem as you what i did is a interactive start and when it got to starting kudzu or the hardware probe i disable it and it would boot up fine the old kernel is fine it boots with no problem just have to do it if i what to use the new kernel hope this helps

in case you all would like to know the spec's on my system

gigabyte 7vrxp (via 333 chipset)

2400xp

ati 8500 aiw

1gig of ram

tdk combo drive (dvd rom-cd writer)

1 80 gig wd

1 10 maxtor

dual boot win2000

ah no matter what it jsut takes so long to boot, no matter how many times i uninstall an dre install and and thiers nothing i can do ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(

I know thats gotta bite a big one! I wish I could help you!

If it were me, I'd just try a different distro to clarify whether or not its some sort of weird Fedora/kernel/hardware mismatch you're experiencing.

Mepis would be a good candidate. Its very easy to install and has excellent hardware detection.

Good Luck, and please let us help out if we can...

Go into the bios and disable sata support and see if this fixes the problem. I assume you are not running sata drive(s)?

dont work ;( i turened off like everyting. like all other hd's, cd roms, firewire,sound and like eveything i could think of ;( ;( ;(

it almost sounds like you might have a hard drive problem i would go to the hard drive manfactures web site and download their dianostic program and scan for errors then i would bite the bullet and reformat and do a fresh install agin also be aware that i read that if this is a dual boot with win xp fedora has a issue dual booting with xp hope this helps