Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
huggybare

Linux 4 PC-Based Recording Studio

Hey peeps! Just trying to get some feedback on Linux 4 music recording needs (multi-track/mastering etc). PRO: I've had it up 2 here with microSLOP & would like 2 ditch it completely (or at least dual-boot) CON: I'm not very proficient @ learning 2 use new O.S.'s/apps, the closer the enviro. 2 Win98 the better (learning curves = brain-death 2 me). And I'd still like to use apps like Acid/FL Studio/Cool Edit etc. (if poss. if not-are there Linux alts?). Any suggestions kids?

Thanx.

Geen

Invest in a Macintosh iBook & Aquire a ProTools Mbox.

Linux Sucks & until someone invests 20 million in its development as a viable operating system you might be better off running DOS/MultiTracker/FastTracker, unless of course your a hacker bent on world computational anarchy or running your own webserver. The Linux Learning Curve in my opinion can be discribed as an icy one.

P.S. you can run a great many *nix apps in OSX due to the recent integration of X11.

good luck

I agree with buglamp to a degree. I don't think linux sucks but there is a learning curve. you can use Fink under osx and get some great x11 apps to run on teh macs but you need to invest some big money to get a mac. Not always the best solution for people. however you may find this article to answer some of your questions. I'm not too knowledgable on this subject.

huggybare you may want to check this out.

BugLamp, please explain to us in detail why Linux sucks. Or is your only reason for saying so because its learning curve is too "icy" for you?

Excellent Article DapperDan!

Im going to suss out that software the author mentioned as i wish to use Linux in a mastering format.

How can anyone say Linux Sucks? So far ive been impressed, even just on an aesthetics viewpoint, cleaner, softer lines. FASTER as not as much crap is loaded and running. So YOU have to go out and get things for your hardware etc, Linux is FREE, so if it means i go out and obtain drivers, extra bits of software (which are free too) then i will, called giving a bit back. wink

Damien

Daimienb2003,

Sounds like you have the right positve attitude to take on linux. smile Just wondering if you decided on which Distro you're gonna run.

Good luck, have fun, just remember if you get frustrated it's all worth it in the end. I find that my debian sid (unstable) box is less maintence then an XP install. I'm always just an apt-get away from any application or update I want. smile

Originally posted by BugLamp:

Quote:
Invest in a Macintosh iBook & Aquire a ProTools Mbox.

Linux Sucks & until someone invests 20 million in its development as a viable operating system you might be better off running DOS/MultiTracker/FastTracker, unless of course your a hacker bent on world computational anarchy or running your own webserver. The Linux Learning Curve in my opinion can be discribed as an icy one.

P.S. you can run a great many *nix apps in OSX due to the recent integration of X11.

good luck

you know it really upsets me when people like this person here bashes an operating system when they haven't given it any chance at all. sounds like to me that this person is a microsoft lover. linux does not suck at all. its has many features that windows will never accomplish in my opinion. i have been using linux for the past i would say 3 years now and ever time i use it i love it even more. i have made all my systems at home excpet for on all linux machines. there is only once machine and is windows based and that is becuase i play my games on that computer. all my other workstations are linux based. they range from suse, debian, and xandros <-----(this is a test machine). linux has a huge history and has come a long way. lets see here the huge computer giant IBM just trashed microsoft and have implamented linux into their company. now for a company like IBM to take microsoft out and bring in linux well i think that just says alot right there. but here is the great thing about linux that i do like. you have people out there put in their own time to write software for this os and they are offering it to us for free. now thats cool. im no programmer or anything but i just think thats a great tool to have. soo........

BugLamp

i say this to you. if you don't like linux then don't. go back to microsoft. even better since you don't like linux why are you on a linux website posting stuff???

thats all i have to say for now.

P.S. to Dapper Dan, and danleff you guys are doing an excellent job as moderators on the forum...keep up the good work guyss

"The Linux Guru"