Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bunggle

Windows 2K and Speedtouch USB problems

Hi,

I've just "upgraded" my PC from Win 98 to 2K and am now unable to connect to my ADSL. I have a Speedtouch DSL modem which is not showing any errors on the device manager and the diagnostics tool that came with it also shows that it is working fine. When I try to connect however, it tries 10 times to verify my username and password and then comes back with the message that the server is not responding. I have a friend who had the same problem which he never solved - gave up and bought a different modem!

Can anyone help?

Hi guys, yes I checked with my ISP and the network is alive and well. Last night I tried doing a clean install of Win2k but still with the same problem. I also tried installing the modem onto my work laptop (also Win2K but much more powerful) and with the same problem. Oh and I don't use WinPoET - it's a PPPoA connection.

This is doing my head in!

My first reaction is to connect the modem via an Ethernet connection if you can. USB ports and DSL modems are often flakey.

My second reaction is to ask if you have some kind of firewall or anti-virus program running in the background? Temporarily exit them to see if a connection can be made.

What you are usually asked to do is power down both the computer and turn of the modem for about a minute or so. Power up the modem and watch the lights to see if it connects to the ISP. Then, poweer up the computer to see if the PC light comes on.

Originally posted by Sampson:

Quote:
My first reaction is to connect the modem via an Ethernet connection if you can. USB ports and DSL modems are often flakey.

Unfortunately the modem only has the USB connection so I'm stuck with that. But until the weekend it had been working fine on Win98 for about 3 years so I guess it's happy enough on USB.

Quote:
My second reaction is to ask if you have some kind of firewall or anti-virus program running in the background? Temporarily exit them to see if a connection can be made.

nope, no firewall or anti-virus. I did a complete clean install last night and only installed WinRar and the modem driver.

Quote:
What you are usually asked to do is power down both the computer and turn of the modem for about a minute or so. Power up the modem and watch the lights to see if it connects to the ISP. Then, poweer up the computer to see if the PC light comes on.

Unfortunately I can't do that either as the modem is powered by the USB port. If the computer is off, so is the modem!

Nevermind, thanks for everyones advice. I've just gone and bought an Intel modem from Ebay! Hope it arrives soon - 56k is killing me!