Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ScinteX

The Sims 2 Prblem Solving Guide Part 2

I felt a little guilty when I posted my last thread about the Sims 2 (cos it was useless and mainly ranting! LOL) - so here's a more helpful version smile

Read all of this 1st, before you do anything!! When you have done reading, consider all of the ideas here. You dont have to do these in order- I suggest leaving DirectX until last. In fact you dont have to do anything I type here :P

Check your hardware

This tool is handy as it gives you an indicator as to if the Sims 2 will run at all on your PC. Keep in mind that even if it says u r ok, does not mean that the game run wonderfully.

Download the Checker Tool here http://sims.servopro.com/downloads/download.php?download=http://sims2.servopro.com/TS2SysReqc.zip

Update Graphic Card Drivers

If you do not know what your graphics chipset is, click start, run, and type dxdiag.exe and press enter. Click the display tab- now you should see what kind of graphics chipset you have (something like Intel, nVidia, or ATI, which you can find under Manufacturer).

Intel

nVidia

ATI

Once you arrive at the appropriate site, depending on how it is set up, you must enter your windows version (98, Me, 2000, XP) which you can find on the System tab in dxdiag.exe (listed under operating system). You must also provide the graphics chipset (should be something similar to Radeon, GeForce, Intel Extreme, etc, which you can find on the Display tab under chip type).

Download the file they suggest and run it. After installation, RESTART your PC.

Reinstalling DirectX

Bit of a dodgy area this one since DirectX is so integrated within the Operating system. However work ya way through this as it may help

First, make sure your Sims 2 disk is in the drive. Afterwards follow these steps.

Open My Computer.

Right click on the Sims2 icon and choose Open.

Double-click on the DirectX folder.

Right-click on the DSETUP.dll file and choose Copy.

Close this window.

Open My Computer again.

This time, open your C: drive (usually called Local Disk).

Now open the WINDOWS folder.

Open the SYSTEM32 folder.

Right-click on an empty space in the folder and choose Paste.

Now try running the GAME installation again- and click the right options so that DirectX is installed. Reboot, try and run the game.

If the issue persists you will need to reinstall DirectX.

You can get this program either off the disk, or from Microsoft's website.

Either way, make sure you have the DirectX installation file handy.

Go here http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=522. This comes down in RAR format. if you cannot open it, download WinRAR here http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar340.exe

READ THE "IMPORTANT.TXT" FILE!

Please dont flame me because you hosed your system with this.

When you are done, reinstall DirectX 9.

To use the DirectX installer on the disk:

Open My Computer.

Right-click on the Sims2 icon and choose Open.

Open the DirectX folder.

Double-click on the dxsetup icon.

This will install DirectX 9.0c on your system.

OR

Double click the file that you downloaded from Microsoft.com.

Refresh Rates

People have been having problems with forced refresh rates. As I have said elsewhere in these very forums- Sims 2 really hates being run at high refresh rates.

The refresh rate determines how many times your monitor refreshes its image in one second. Usually this is somewhere between 60Hz and 75Hz (1Hz is equal to one cycle per second, so 60Hz would be equal to 60 cycles per second).

People have stated that refresh rates other than 60 Hz will not be supported by the game. The game simply changes the refresh rate to 60 Hz and changes it back once the player quits the game. The problem originates when there is a program that is FORCING a refresh rate and does not allow the game to change it. This may be the cause of graphics problems that so many people are having.

Uninstall or disable any tools that you have that force/tweak refresh rates.

Another related issue can be that your monitor refresh rate is set higher than the game's resolution. Setup your display to run at 60Hz and see if the problem is resolved.

Hope one of the above works for you laugh

Also, CD emulation software: TS2 will refuse to run if some Virtual CD software is installed.

Personally, I had to rename/remove the CloneCD registration Registry Key for TS2 to run on my PC. I had read a few weeks ago about EA/Maxis releasing a patch for this, but when I looked this weekend, I couldn't find anything indicitating such on http://www.thesims2.com

Regarding performance issues: It runs just OK on my pc, the specs are:

Pentium 4 @ 2.26GHz 533MHz FSB

768MB DDR 2100 RAM

Geforce4 Ti4400 128MB DDR

Sometimes it will just seemingly hang, then resume after 10-40 seconds. Hopefully this can be addressed via a software update at some point from Maxis/EA.

It sure is a fun game though, and I had never played TS1 or TSO. I had, however, played SimCity, SimCity 2000, SimCity 3000.

I was wondering about getting it today... i was in the shop.... however i left empty handed! Might try again 2mo after reading some reviews. Like you i have dabbled in Simcity laugh gotta love it!

On a handier note; i had problems with emulation software too. Also had problems with burning software (Nero and Roxio). However I found a fantastic free bit of software for burning CDs. Its simple and to the point:

DeepBurner

FREE version is great smile

Hi im really stuck, when installing the game it keeps saying that there is a problem with sound and cant finnish the instlattion. Can anyone help?

okay... I downloaded the sims2 it was fine with downloading but when I wanted to play it said I needed directx 9.0 runtime so I went on the sims2 website I looked for the BBS and I found some answers ..I went to ATI.com and I looked for my chip type but mine says n/a so.. what should I do and also I downloaded directx 9 but it's not working.. this is what my DirectX Diagnostic Tool says

Device

Name: RAGE 128VR (English)

Manufacturer: ATI Tech.-Enhanced

Chip Type: n/a

DAC Type: n/a

Approx Total Memory:8.0MB

Current Display Mode: 800 x 600(32bit)

Moniter:Plug and Play

also on the bottom it says that Directx 3D 9+ is not availible because the display driver does not support it.

What should I do?? I really want to play the game frown

Pleas Help!!!

Sweetiegak55@aol.com

lailagak - You will need to upgrade at least your video card in order to play The Sims 2.

I also suggest you verify that the rest of your computer specifications meet the minimum requirements.

help im so pissed off i bought sims 2 as a present for myself for my b-day and it installed ok i followed de instructions and it was on my comp but wen i try and run it it wont run bcoz it says i dont av directx9.0 graphic support or something like that so i searched and found this website and read some of your posts on it and i tried going into my d: drive and installing directx9.0c and thought it would work but it didnt so i came bk 2 ere and used another one the dxdiag.exe but 2 no prevail and my graphics details are as follows

name: s3 graphics pro savage + utilities

manufatcurer: s3 graphics inc

chip type: s3 pro savage km 133 tm

dac type: s3 sdac

approx total memory: 16.0mb

current display mode:1024x768 (16bit) (60hz)

moniter: moniter a727 packard bell

i decided 2 test the directdraw and direct3d options and on the direct 3d one it said display driver does not support api (ddi version too low) please help i loved the first sims and really want to play this one

Ok, I have the Sims 2 installed. I have downloaded DirectX and now....everytime I open the Sims 2 it says that it

'Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate'

I did what was suggested to find out about my video card, (not overly computer literate when it comes to technical things like this) and this is what it said;

Name: SiS 6322

Manufacturer:SiS

Chip type:6326 AGP Rev HO

DAC type:Internal

Approx. total memory: 8.0 mb

Current display mode:800x600 (24 bit( (optimal refresh rate)

Monitor:Plug and play monitor

So I read a reply which asked what to do being in a similar situation to what I am. Can I download something so that the Sims 2 will work on my computer or is it necessary to buy a new video card? This is most likely a really stupid, obvious question, but as previously mentioned - I am not overly computer literate when it comes to technical terms.

So could someone please help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time, sorry it's so long.

Frangelisair

Looks like your graphics card is at the very bottom of the range. You need a new graphics card to play heavy 3d games such as Sims 2. This also applies to the savage S3 (S4 may be a lot better).

Thanks PeterH, I don't play many games on my computer so I really didn't know. Thankyou for your help. Could I be a pain and ask one more question, and that is, what sort or type or model of video card should I be looking for?

i just bought the sims and i have just installed it but my computer wont allow it to run as it says we do not have directX 9.0c althought i have installed it many times! if anyone has any solutions to my i would be very grateful ! although, without havin to buy anythin else!

;(

frown I Just Got Sims 2 and i did what it said and turned off all virus blockers and i inserted the disk into the computer and usally it makes a blowing sound if its reading the disc and it didn't this time I also went to run and typed in D:\autorun

and i also tried D:\start and it said please insert disc into drive D its getting so annoying i put the disc in already!!!!

Does Anyone Have A Solution?

(I have windows XP)

Originally posted by Simsfreak2:

Quote:
frown I Just Got Sims 2 and i did what it said and turned off all virus blockers and i inserted the disk into the computer and usally it makes a blowing sound if its reading the disc and it didn't this time I also went to run and typed in D:\autorun

and i also tried D:\start and it said please insert disc into drive D its getting so annoying i put the disc in already!!!!

Does Anyone Have A Solution?

(I have windows XP)

That's probably just a fan spinning up, or the CD/DVD drive spinning up. Nothing to worry about.

OK, so I'm like everyone else. I bought this today for my birthday and I downloaded DirectX but it wouldn't work.

So I downloaded ServoPro (Which is REALLY helpful) and it says I have 127 MB (I need 256 MB). My Graphics Card is not supported by Maxis (it is by Microsoft Corp.), and I have 599MHz (I need 800MHz).

How can I upgrade each of these things so the game works?

The easiest way would be to replace the computer. Otherwise, you would need to individually replace at least the processor (assuming the motherboard supported a faster processor), video card, and RAM. That would be just to meet the minimum system specifications.

Edit: Should you choose to do so, make sure you bring a copy of the minimum system requirements for The Sims 2, to ensure that the new system meets or exceeds those. Specifically, you'll want to make sure that the graphics card (typically an ATI or Nvidia) is on the Maxis-supported list.

As I have said before, The Sims 2 is a 3D game, and as such, it needs a powerful 3D graphics accelerator. Most older brand-name computers (HP, Compaq, Dell, etc.) unless they have been upgraded will not meet this requirement.

Dont FORCE the refresh rate. undo the program forcing your refresh rate in win xp, change to 60Hz. problem gone.

I just got the sims today and during the installment it said that I needed DirectX 9.0c which I got so it finished downloading. When I tried to run the sims it said that Direct3D refused to initialize. I went to dxdiag and it says that I have DirectX 9.0c. So what do I do is there somewhere where I could download Direct3D? Oh yeah and when I try to reinstall DirectX 9.0c it starts then stops in the middle and says that DirectX 9.0c failed to copy a file and it stops.

It's possible that if your running DX off the CD that it could be erroring out because of a dirty CDROM drive. Try copying the DirectX folder to your hard drive and installing from there.

As for D3D:

Go into DXDIAG

Go to DISPLAY

See if Direct3D Acceleration is ENABLED.

Also, right-click on desktop, go to properties,settings, advanced, Troubleshoot, and make sure that the slider is all the way to the right.

Finally make sure that you have the latest video drivers install.ed

Lastly, Don't post new Sims 2 threads. Post here: http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread30365-1.html