Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kevon45uk

problem with NVidia Soundstorm

Hi

As a newbie I'm not sure where this should go... however, I am having problems with Nvidia Soundstorm which came with my PC (System is a AMD Athlon 3GHz processor with ABIT NF7 motherboard with nForce integrated). So, it's an integrated sound card and not something that can be slotted in or out. Whether that means anything, I don't know. The point is that I don't understand the following things:

i) I can't work out the ports at the back of the PC. I've sussed out the output port so I can play stuff through my amp. But I have three other ports that don't seem to have any effect whatsoever. How can I tell what they are?

ii) I am trying to record stuff from my turntable through the amp and onto my hard drive. Seems simple and on my old PC it was a breeze. This time though it is impossible. I get no recognition of an input. No record levels. Nothing. I can't find any manuals for Soundstorm so I don't know where to begin fixing the problem. Why is it so difficult to get some kind of instruction manual? This is evidently not a toytown piece of kit and I am not a gung-ho 'lets give this a go' kind of bloke.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kev

Hi Kev,

try here:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/

There are quite a few boards with NF7 in the title, so choose the correct link in the page above. You'll see that when the page has loaded there is a link on the right of that page saying "user manual". Download and enjoy laugh

Its a bit of a whooper at 8.3Mb (132 pages), and the ABit site seems a bit slow at the moment so it may take around 15 minutes to get frown I see that the PDF guide is also in a zillion languages, so have a good scroll to find the English part. The manual does seem fairly cr*p actually as i just downloaded it! It doesnt really explain about the soundstorm stuff.

Heres a quick one on ports me old mucker:

26sm.jpg

The black hole is the Center / Subwoofer port, the orange is the Rear left and right speakers port, the green is the Front left and rear right speaker port, the blue is the line-in port, and the pink is the mic port.

For normal desktop speakers (just the two) u would use the green hole. The line from your amp (line out or headphones) goes to the blue hole.

Be really really careful where the hifi output comes from.... if u use a speaker out or headphones line from your amp you have to be really really careful not to blow the chips in your PC! They dont like loud signals.......

The Windows part to getting it to work can be tricky since it does depend on the sound hardware. As a general rule though, double click the speaker by the clock and make sure line-in slider is up. If u dont have a speaker icon by the clock then go Start ==> Settings ==> Control panel ==> Sounds and audio devices ==> Audio tab ==> Sound recording pane ==> volume button.

Have fun smile

Hi ScinteX

I hope this is the right way to reply as there seems to be no obvious reply to post button. Anyway... thanks for the message. Particularly the photo of the ports! Brilliant! As soon as I get the opportunity (tomorrow) I'll try and sort that out. I am about to go to the site you mentioned and see what is available. I'll get back and tell you how I fared.

That pic thing has blown me away, though! I was talking to a friend at work today about forums and he was pretty dismissive. I said I had a lot of success talking to people on forums. Now I can tell him about your photo stunt and floor him! Quality.

Keep it geek

Kev