Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geek4u

How many Windows XP Pros to buy?

Want to upgrade two XP Home desktops and two Windows ME systems - one desktop - one laptop to XP Professional.

Should I buy Retail Boxed (Upgrade or Full) or OEM versions of XP Pro? I find great savings on line for OEM versions but am not sure. Can I use two OEM versions and install them on the four systems? I thought there was a two system installation limit to each OS purchased but need that verified.

Are there any significant differences between Retail Boxed (Full or Upgrade) and OEM versions?

I think it's Office XP that Microsoft allows you to place on two different systems. Brother, this is gonna be expensive. smile

You will need 4 copies/licenses for the "Upgrade" version. Note that generally speaking, the "Upgrade" license is *not* an actual license, but rather it changes the terms of your existing XP Home/Windows ME license, which are likely OEM licenses.

There are minimal differences between the Full, upgrade, and OEM versions, most of the differences relate to the different product key type that each will/will not accept.

Some versions of Microsoft Office XP (and newer) will allow installation on multiple PCs. From memory, you can install a FULL RETAIL installation of Office XP on a desktop and a laptop PC. The idea is that you will NOT use both at the same time.

Assuming that you want Office XP/2003 on the same 4 PCs, you would need 3 or 4 licenses, depending on how you use the laptop.

No problem, I know how muddy Microsoft makes the licensing waters... Thankfully you don't have to worry about software assurance, volume license agreements, etc.

;-)