Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kyguy

Thanks for being such a cool dude Philipp

I'd just like to say thank you for not purging my account due to inactivity, I know a lot of other forums do that and I'd hate to lose my reg date here wink

HA! I knew i have seen you elsewhere in my travels

APK arent you an operator in the windows95 channel on dalnet?

Quite a story APK.....

I remember doing "tech support" as just a user, though quite sometime ago .... before the whole dal.net DOS attacks and the channel being no longer official. I was quite the newbie back then (memorizing IRQs, playing with NT 4 SP3, and using PICO for my mail instead of OL ) (Less of a newbie now smile ) I do recollect that the OPs and the voices were "high and mighty" with themselves *no offense*

I remember seeing ya there with others like Dr P, NTLDR, Chavo, GLMMR, etc etc. My apologies for dredging up nostalgia lane.

Funny you mention the drastic decrease in IRC. I dont believe I have fired up Klient or mIRC in over a year .....

We dont even allow IRC on our company networks ..... something about trojans using IRC bots to receive instructions 8) wink

And about being online for a while .... lets say these were my connection jumps .... 2400 baud to 9600 to 10 Meg ethernet

Man you guys bring back some memories, I remember when I first joined a local ISP back in the day. One of the nice extra features of said dial-up was that you received telnet access smile

I was fascinated by what you could do sans a gui, PINE was my choice for both email and news, why, because It's Not ELM :lol

I even played around with connecting my beloved and by then dusty C64 with just a 1200 baud modem, telnet access worked liked a dream, picture the old 40-column display and see what I mean...

I went so far as to even reconnect my first modem, a 300 baud, pulse-dial, Taiwanese made POS, it even worked laugh

Back On-Topic, Yes I second your opinion about Philip there, he's a very cool sysop, hey, can I still use that term now a days wink

Well I can most definitely say that my experience with computers does not go back as far as the two of you.

It began with a tandy rs80 that then jumped to a NEC 166 Ready 9702 Series PC. I remember messing with PCs in school that were 486 DX running WFW 3.11

What actually pulled me into computers was programming for zilog processors on the TI-85. I needed a machine to dump the roms and the NEC is what did it.

Guess you could say I have been doing PCs for about 9 years.

Originally posted by ds3circuit:

Quote:
Well I can most definitely say that my experience with computers does not go back as far as the two of you.

It began with a tandy rs80 that then jumped to a NEC 166 Ready 9702 Series PC. I remember messing with PCs in school that were 486 DX running WFW 3.11

What actually pulled me into computers was programming for zilog processors on the TI-85. I needed a machine to dump the roms and the NEC is what did it.

Guess you could say I have been doing PCs for about 9 years.

Ah yes WFW 3.11, I remember my first 486-DX2/50 came with that OS along with MS-DOS v6.xx. I already had copies of v3.3, v4.01 and 5 to mess about with as well wink

Well I started back in High School, which is the mid-70's. The high-school I went to had a computer department filled with TRS-80's and Apple. I liked the CP/M DOS that came with the trash 80's and really didn't get along with the Apple DOS/ProDOS or what ever Apple called it at the time...

Also, there was one or two acoustic modems in the computer lab, they ran at either 30, 60 or 110 baud, now that was smoking at the time.

Since the pricing was so damn expensive I never could afford to get one myself, however I was one of the lucky ones to get one of the first Oddysey game consoles with paddles wink

Then we graduated to the Mattel Intelivsion and soon the voice cartridge to go along with B-17 bomber laugh

I really liked what CBM was doing at the time because they made some really nice business class machines for not a whole lot of money at the time. Atari also had some interesting home micros with the 400/800 series of boxes.

@APK, no I never found a fix for the security hole(s) in that Color BBS app, I just stopped running the free BBS after that frown

As to what had happened, well the jerk that hacked the site basically reformated the floppy disk that I had the app and other support software running on. Since the C64 was primarially disk based for storing the temp data and program data onto, this effectively killed the BBS. Users would just a endless ring on the phone line with no app to pick up the modem frown